Electrician Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a good #2 phillips holding screwdriver?

I usually wish I have one when I need to change out a breaker and a shut down is not reasonable. Please spare the lectures about working on live equipment, I always wear full arc flash PPE and am very aware of the hazards.

·
Super Moderator
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,796 Posts
Greenlee has them also. :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,796 Posts
That's the one. There is one laying on the counter at one of my supply houses as we speak.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I have the Greenlee one on order now. Greenlee seems to be using good metal compared to Klien tools these days. I went through 2 Klein hooded screwdrivers in a 6 month period (the tip kept breaking apart) and since I switched to Greenlee I haven't had any problems.

On another subject... Does anybody else wish that a manufacture would make wire strippers with hardened steel? I'd love it if Ideal made the 45-915's with hardened steel. I'd pay double for a pair that wouldn't get f'd up everytime cut though something harder than a piece of play-dough!

Attachments

·
village idiot
329 Posts
On another subject... Does anybody else wish that a manufacture would make wire strippers with hardened steel? I'd love it if Ideal made the 45-915's with hardened steel. I'd pay double for a pair that wouldn't get f'd up everytime cut though something harder than a piece of play-dough!
What are you cutting? I have never had a strippers get knicked up by cutting or stripping wire with it. I have however once tried to cut a piece of very small steel wire and knicked the cutting blade with it. I was then promptly smacked up along side the head by my leadman (this was about 12 years ago) and told "thats why it is called a WIRE STRIPPER and not a cut whatever the hell you want tool!!!" :laughing:

Jeff

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What are you cutting? I have never had a strippers get knicked up by cutting or stripping wire with it. I have however once tried to cut a piece of very small steel wire and knicked the cutting blade with it. I was then promptly smacked up along side the head by my leadman (this was about 12 years ago) and told "thats why it is called a WIRE STRIPPER and not a cut whatever the hell you want tool!!!" :laughing:

Jeff
I don't cut anything but copper either, but think about why you've had to replace your strippers in the past. Either they get dull, you lose the damn spring, or the cutters somehow get messed up and bind. I just think it would be nice to have the option like the Klein linesman pliers do. (ie. D213 vs. D2000)

·
R.I.P. 2014
4,722 Posts
I like the ones that are spring loaded that go completely inside the screw so you can fit it into a tighter place than the outside type.

·
Registered
31,879 Posts
Either they get dull, you lose the damn spring
Only nicked a pair cutting the wrong type of wire. I have never lost a single spring, I throw them away before I leave the supply house.

·
village idiot
329 Posts
You guys probably know this, but if you buy Klein strippers from the Home Depot, you can pretty much blow them apart and they will exchange them for you for free. Every time mine get dull, I just crank the center bolt down a little tighter and bring them in, they give me a brand new stripper every time. I have only bought one in the last......well I can't even remember the last time I had to buy a stripper, I always get a free replacement from the Home Depot.

Jeff

1 - 12 of 12 Posts