Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you have any Cell Phone Policies for your workers...I am finding my employees are constantly on there cell phone during work hours..mostly to their wives..lunch and breaks I dont care but its starting to become a problem..

·
Mr. Awesome
100 Posts
I have a employee handbook the size of a standard chemistry textbook. Inside of it somewhere there are a few pages that cover cellphone usage. They can't have them outside of the van/trailer/shop and it makes it very clear that if they are caught talking on the phone while driving they are fired no questions asked. I haven't had much of an issue, but you have to also lead by example and not pick up your own phone when your best friend calls and wants to go golfing. Don't be afraid to say something, because it's your money they are stealing...

·
Rest In Peace
6,298 Posts
The company I work for is small and never had any type of employee handbook. The phone comes in handy to relay information concerning the situation.

With that said, I hate getting phone calls while at work. I am at work, I do not need a phone call unless it is an emergency. I broke my wife of calling me while at work real quick, she will send a text if she wants to express something.

I have customers and GC's that once they got my number would call me instead of the office. That was fine when we were slow, but after we picked up I ended up forwarding all calls to my number back to the office. That broke that habit for all but 2 GC's.

I used to have a co worker who had a girlfriend he shacked up with call him at least 4 times a day. I would get pissed when in a hot attic waiting on him either to pull the wire, push the wire or whatever was needed when 2 employees are working together on a project only to find out he stepped away to answer his phone and talk to his GF.:censored:

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
So you want them to use their phones for company business? You can't have it both ways.
The company I work for has a "no personal phones at work" policy in the company handbook. It is pretty much ignored by everyone. If the company tried to enforce it, I would stop carrying the company phone also. I'm sure they would get the point quickly and reverse their decision. If you want no phones at work, be prepared for no communication with the guys. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

·
Small Potatoes
5,513 Posts
We took the no personal cell phone restriction out of our Handbook. In my view it just became obsolete. I don't feel we have a right to prohibit them, but I do believe we have a right to restrict how much they use them.

Everyone it seems has a cell phone. Even my older then dirt in laws have one. Although they never seem to have it on. My grand kids had them at an early age, but had strict rules on their use.

Cell phones have become an integral part of people's lives. They want to stay connected to their pregnant wives, kids in school, sick family members that may need them, etc.

Truth be told, we've only had a few people over the last 10 or so years that we've had a problem with the abuse of excessive phone use.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Yrs ago when i was a pm. I verbal warned an employee about it ( we had a policy) as he was alway on his ph with the gf...

At the companywide safety meeting his ph rings, and he picked it up and started talking to his gf... Wtf?

I asked him to stay after the mtg....

Got his check and laid him off!!!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So you want them to use their phones for company business? You can't have it both ways.
No Backstay I dont want it both way's..I have a policy that I give my employees a stipend every 3 months towards there Cell phone because we require them to have one while they work so I can get a hold of them during the work day. One of my workers lost his so I let him use one of mine. The problem is that this worker is on his phone a average of 2-3 hrs per week on personel business..mostly his wife..and not during breaks or lunch.. 1 week he had 94 text messages and 80 min utes of talk..

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,543 Posts
lunch and break ok. before and after work ok.

during work - abuse it and 1) warning 2) docked 3) fired

Reactions: Jumbo23

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
The companies I've worked for allowed phones and personal calls. The idea was basically that you are going to be decent to your employees and treat them as human beings. That said, the defacto rule was to keep all personal calls short.

We had one guy on a remote site who got a call that his wife was taken to the hospital and talked with his son on the phone about it for a good hour. Where's the harm in that?

If someone is having a 15min smoochy call 4 times a day, then of course that's not right. But one or two 2-3min calls are harmless. Everyone on this forum seems to get caught up in the minutia of business...

·
Registered
591 Posts
in Policies & Procedures, we briefly address cell phones. Just stating that employees limit or avoid personal calls during working hours.

But each site as it's own policy regarding cell phones and is enforced by the site foreman. We prefer that cell phones stay in lunch trailer/lunch room/van/etc. during working hours. This is enforced by a verbal/written warning.

Phone calls are not nearly as much of a concern as texting.

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
...Everyone on this forum seems to get caught up in the minutia of business...
Yeah, I suppose it probably is nickel-and-dime stuff. I just know that I've worked with a number of useless guys who were always on the phone, so it's a sore spot.

Maybe the better answer is that those types of guys would be useless even without the phone, so severely restricting it is not the solution.

·
Florida resident
3,898 Posts
chicken steve said:
The local cops came to my office to inform me my new phone policy is i can't threaten telemarketers anymore.....:( ~CS~
After listening to you they wouldn't know if they were being threatend or not

·
Registered
105 Posts
Our company has a phone policy, but it is not strictly followed. Almost everyone on the job has a radio so we don't need to use our phones much, but phones still convenient when we are unable to reach someone or wish to speak privately.

However, I started to realize why the policy is there. There are so many people that just sit up on a ladder with their heads in the ceiling texting away for large amounts of time. It drives me nuts, I feel like I have to babysit in order to get people to get stuff done.

·
Freelance Member
1,370 Posts
If I'm doing anything for a customer my phone stays in the truck. When someone pays for my time they have it.

If I hire anyone the same rules will apply. Or I'll be axen' mofos.

Exercise your phone neck on your own time.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.