·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3 phase 120v wye system feeding a lighting contactor--- I have a HOA
wired correctly with L1 off the auto to black on the photocell and the
red switchleg of the photocell to the coil. Do you have to use the white
neutral wire on the photocell. The coil sucks in on auto and does not
drop out even with flashlight shining on the photo eye.

Thanks

·
R.I.P. 2014
4,722 Posts
You'd be amazed just how well things work when you wire them to the schematic that they ship with them. Don't let Darwin get you.

·
Modérateur
8,692 Posts
Yes the netural is needed on 3 wire photocells but however if they won't shut off during bright day then you got a photoeye malfunctioned once they malfuctioned most will useally defalted to be on postion some do off postion depending on which manufacter it have and damge affected.

Which type of lighting contractor you used ?? there is two diffrent verison of it.

Merci,Marc

·
Registered
625 Posts
3 phase 120v wye system feeding a lighting contactor--- I have a HOA
wired correctly with L1 off the auto to black on the photocell and the
red switchleg of the photocell to the coil. Do you have to use the white
neutral wire on the photocell. The coil sucks in on auto and does not
drop out even with flashlight shining on the photo eye.

Thanks
In most cases, we can not go wrong by following those 'manufacturers instructions'.

If I had three wires, and thought I had to disgard one of them, it sure would not be the white one :001_huh:

Work'in For That Free Tee . . .

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Does energizing the coil turn the circuits ON or OFF? Some contactors require an ON voltage AND an OFF voltage... and a simple photocell won't work alone.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Does energizing the coil turn the circuits ON or OFF? Some contactors require an ON voltage AND an OFF voltage... and a simple photocell won't work alone.
Good pickup, sir.

Some maintained contactors require a pulse for on, and another for off. However the OP did not specify.

My early boss and great mentor used to preach "Steve, when you write something for someone else to comprehend, you must write at the fifth grade level". Not to demean anyone here, his advice was worked 20-20 for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Looks like we ran into some issues. Please come back and try again later