Electrician Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Senile Member
30,687 Posts
So, pipe vise's used to be fairly handy, but then they came out with cordless band saws and just about nobody uses a pipe vise any longer.

Reactions: TGGT

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
So, pipe vise's used to be fairly handy, but then they came out with cordless band saws and just about nobody uses a pipe vise any longer.
A cordless band saw has it's place, but it doesn't take away from the fact some of us still have to thread and screw together pipe and need a vise to hold it.

We built one out of sq tubing that slips in the hitch of a truck and then brings the vise up to comfortable working height. Most of the guys like it better than the portable tripod rigid vises we have. It's a lot more secure, when you get into harder to cut threads is when it really makes a difference over a tripod.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A cordless band saw has it's place, but it doesn't take away from the fact some of us still have to thread and screw together pipe and need a vise to hold it.
yeah, I used to have a hitch mount chain vise but it just took up too much room and I don't need it all that often. Most of the stuff i'm assembling/disassembling is 1" or smaller. Looks like it could be handy.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Never heard of them. I hope it works amazing for $150 and you still have to come up with the hitch to bolt it to.

·
Registered
870 Posts
The regular one(that sits on a flat surface) looks super handy. I struggle with breaking things loose and stepping on a regular pipe wrench on the ground while trying to turn with another. This looks like it would make that much easier.

Reactions: zoltan

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
61,085 Posts

We built one out of sq tubing that slips in the hitch of a truck and then brings the vise up to comfortable working height. Most of the guys like it better than the portable tripod rigid vises we have. It's a lot more secure, when you get into harder to cut threads is when it really makes a difference over a tripod.
Please expand on "harder to cut threads"...

Sharp dies and oil solve most problems.

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
61,085 Posts
That reminds me of a Swiss Army knife. It will do in a pinch but it’s not a substitute for the real thing.
Agreed, without a chain or jaw to really snug up it seems slipping would be a real issue.

I've seen the spring loaded pipe wrenches like that in Blowes and The Depot.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Please expand on "harder to cut threads"...

Sharp dies and oil solve most problems.
Some 3/4 is harder to cut then other brands.

1 1/2 is harder to cut than 1/2.

Etc.

A lot of times we don't want to anchor the pony when thread cutting, we just want to hold onto it, because it's faster. With this method, the tripod tries to do cartwheels while threading if the pipe threads hard. A hitch mounted vise doesn't have this problem.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Never heard of them. I hope it works amazing for $150 and you still have to come up with the hitch to bolt it to.
$$ is not really an issue. Co. will pay for it if I order it. My 17' f350 service body is already maxed out on storage space, though.

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
61,085 Posts
Some 3/4 is harder to cut then other brands.

1 1/2 is harder to cut than 1/2.

Etc.

A lot of times we don't want to anchor the pony when thread cutting, we just want to hold onto it, because it's faster. With this method, the tripod tries to do cartwheels while threading if the pipe threads hard. A hitch mounted vise doesn't have this problem.
Oh I get the larger sizes take more torque but I wasn't thinking of some pipe being harder to thread than others.

I know that was an issue with imported pipe in the 80s but really thought that was a thing of the past.

I've never really had an issue with using a tripod vise and pony threader but I have had yoke vises on the back of a truck slip pretty easily.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts