Electrician Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have these? They make it look stupid easy bending pvc. 1/2'" all the way up to 2"

·
Super Moderator
21,923 Posts
I can't imagine trying to bend 2" pvc over the knee like that without heating

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
I have them right up to 1 1/4". They work great with heat. You can warm up the pipe and make your bends and never worry about kinking or collapsing the pipe.

I've cold bent 1/2" with it and it was ok but nothing I would leave out where everyone could see it. It would be fine in a ditch somewhere.

·
Can't Remember
10,133 Posts
I have the 1/2 and 3/4 and good for making offsets and small bends. That's as big as I would go. Otherwise the box or blanket comes out.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I bought 3/4 to do the underground for my man cave. used it with a 1" EMT bender and had to way over bend 90's by 30 degrees. I did all my bends cold.
OK for underground but not for exposed work.

·
Sparks fly from my finger
2,530 Posts

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
I run a fair amount of surface mount pvc in dairies so I've had some practice heating pipe and making offsets. I picked up the pipe vipers in 1/2 and 3/4 a couple months ago, I've used them a half dozen times or so. I still heat the pipe like usual but, like the others said, now I slip the pipe viper in to help prevent kinks and keep the full pipe diameter throughout the bend. They work well.

I also tied a 3-4' piece of #14 stranded onto the end of it so I can send it down the pipe a ways to get to the bend. Using the pipe viper makes it a little harder to get the pipe into the shape you want but once it's set it comes out real easy. I'm going to continue using it for all my heated bends.

I only cold bend pvc if it's a one-off no one will see, usually dodging an underground obstruction, etc. Surface mount pipe I want to look consistant so I heat and bend them all the same.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts