Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am starting day number two on a trim out , devices and fixtures.
This has got to be the worst job in a long time , this house is less then 1100 sq ft.
Missing recs , lights , smoke det.
Mud filled boxes that I can see!!
The boxes they did cut out look like this

More than doubled my time on this just finding and repairing damage.
The drywall dudes were way cheaper they found ,than the guy I recommended to them.
If they think I'm sticking to my quote they,re nuts!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using electriciantalk.com

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
I am starting day number two on a trim out , devices and fixtures.
This has got to be the worst job in a long time , this house is less then 1100 sq ft.
Missing recs , lights , smoke det.
Mud filled boxes that I can see!!
The boxes they did cut out look like this View attachment 37432
More than doubled my time on this just finding and repairing damage.
The drywall dudes were way cheaper they found ,than the guy I recommended to them.
If they think I'm sticking to my quote they,re nuts!!!!

Make them pay premium for this crap......:no:

Also put all of those pictures in an email with the bill.

·
Estwing magic
27,545 Posts
Seriously, drywallers and mudders are the stupidest "tradesmen" on the planet.

I would have stopped work on that job until they were ready for you. Being ready means that all your device and lighting locations are open and accessible. I would also send a bill for wasted time arriving on site when you couldn't do your work.

I have a "subject to site conditions" clause in all my quotes to address this kind of bull chit.

A certain amount of wire damage can be expected but this is extreme.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You think they would learn how to use the tools of their so called "trade"
Extra time logged with "bull chitt" surcharge included.
Wire loops would have been an excellent idea had I known!!
Instead I'm crawling around attic to gain wire to make repairs.
30C outside you can imagine how nice the attic feels.

·
Estwing magic
27,545 Posts
You think they would learn how to use the tools of their so called "trade"
Extra time logged with "bull chitt" surcharge included.
Wire loops would have been an excellent idea had I known!!
Instead I'm crawling around attic to gain wire to make repairs.
30C outside you can imagine how nice the attic feels.

That's why you leave nice long loops at all your locations, so you can pull slack from inside the box.

You can also cut those wires short and pigtail them with Wagos. Might be hack but it works.

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
I try to meet the drywallers on site, have a chat with them, explain how much an electrician costs.

I also try and take their drill bits out of their machines, explaining they really are only going thru 1/2" of drywall.

The octagon box is the worst. I explain to them that outside the box the wire is extremely close to the drywall. In you pic where they have shredded the wires inside the box... I'd worry about the outside too.

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
For as long as there have been drywallers, there have been buried boxes, plaster filled boxes, and roto-zipped wires. I not only expect a certain amount of that, I'm surprised when the job is of any size and this doesn't happen. Go with the Flo. She's making commercials for Progressive right now, but get with her soon.

Reactions: Hmacanada

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Why not just put metal covers on your boxes? I've done that to prevent damage to my data boxes.

Occasionally when a customer doesn't want conduit, you'll have the drywallers slice the top of your cables going into a box, but I make a loop at the top of the stud with a very loose staple for those incidents, just give it a tug and you instantly have an extra few feet. I know that last trick only really works with old work boxes when it comes to high voltage.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also what's going on with your EGCs? Seems like a little tug and those are leaving the screw.

There is no way you could tug them out.
Shoulder on both sides of screw and the screw is tight!
We don't have to tail bonds here.
I like the metal cover idea, but that has it's own draw backs when cutting out boxes and finding them when they bury them.
Some fixtures barely cover the box now.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
There is no way you could tug them out.
Shoulder on both sides of screw and the screw is tight!
We don't have to tail bonds here.
I like the metal cover idea, but that has it's own draw backs when cutting out boxes and finding them when they bury them.
Some fixtures barely cover the box now.

Missed the Canada part, I pigtail everything, so I'm not used to working with that type of screw. Looking closer I see what you mean now.

Well I think your best plan of action is just having a written record or drawing of where your boxes are. That's what I do with my data boxes. I usually write down how many studs from the beginning of the wall my box is located. Then use a stud finder and wallah! Its never failed me. I suppose you could spray paint those metal covers a bright color so you can make little holes when looking for an elusive box.

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
I use a fluorescent lamp as a nice straightedge to look for the tell-tale hump in the wall where a box is buried.

I was kinda wondering about that octagon... the drywall is fully in front of it. Did they strap out the ceiling and you didn't know they were gonna do that?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I use a fluorescent lamp as a nice straightedge to look for the tell-tale hump in the wall where a box is buried.

I was kinda wondering about that octagon... the drywall is fully in front of it. Did they strap out the ceiling and you didn't know they were gonna do that?
I had something similar happen when a homeowner decided to use noise reducing channels in their home theater, stuck the drywall out past the box. I just ended up using a box extender, do they make those for oct. boxes?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Exactly, I make a point to ask at rough in about channel . BUT things change when I leave.
I used to drop for channel always but when they choose not to use it is a bigger PITA to fix it.
Lamp idea works well I'm guessing.
Recs and switches I've always had good luck with the body rub method.
Feel for her bumps! :)

·
Registered
712 Posts
i absolutely hate RotoZips and the hacks who cut boards on the wall. just measure and cut it.. is that so hard. old school rockers use to.. but then again framers put more than two screws in metal studs.. oh yeh and plumbed them.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,315 Posts
You only have to do this once per general contractor. They will all of a sudden become smarter and learn enough spanish to be able to prevent that crap before the drywall starts. It works wonders. Quite a show.

·
Sparks fly from my finger
2,530 Posts
At least they didn't eat the metal ear off with the roto zip. I have had them ram it so hard it got into the device screw hole. Seen several screw holes gone on plastic boxes.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.