Electrician Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Company hired us to wire in some added walls. The building is all connected to a fitness center with a gym. The part we are working on that they asked us to wire was put up with wood framing and 1/2 " drywall. IMO this is not right, and we wired it in mc cable. Rough inspection tomorrow, and I am pretty sure the electrical and building inspectors are in cahoots. Wonder how it will go.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Company hired us to wire in some added walls. The building is all connected to a fitness center with a gym. The part we are working on that they asked us to wire was put up with wood framing and 1/2 " drywall. IMO this is not right, and we wired it in mc cable. Rough inspection tomorrow, and I am pretty sure the electrical and building inspectors are in cahoots. Wonder how it will go.
Why is it wrong?

·
Registered
12,606 Posts
cl219um said:
1/2 in drywall is good for romex.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
As long as the building is not of type 1 or 2 (non-combustible materials) or the municipality in which it is located does not require a type 1 or 2 building they can frame it out of combustible material as long as the wall surface has the proper fire rating.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think 1/2 drywall is rated for fire on commercial building. Close, but no cigar. Never seen it done this way.building codes around here require sprinklers in commercial buildings with wood. It's a big building. Had Olympic size pool at one point. All connected. Two gymnasiums...

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I don't think 1/2 drywall is rated for fire on commercial building. Close, but no cigar. Never seen it done this way.building codes around here require sprinklers in commercial buildings with wood. It's a big building. Had Olympic size pool at one point. All connected. Two gymnasiums...
I believe 1/2" type x is fire rated beyond the needs of Romex installed in wall. Do you have a reference for the drywall thickness in commercial applications? Would be good to know.

·
corn-fused
4,769 Posts
never heard of of 1/2" type 'x', around here its always 5/8

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
You might have possible a mixed use building, the key in this case
would be the corridors, these should be doubled SR and one side,
and again is based on the type of buildings that is considered to require double sided on corridor side.

The mixed usage is when breaking up an area technically isolating it into a new
usage area, like offices, or even small class rooms (for conversation not over ten peps); verses locker rooms, weight rooms, etc.

An assembly is technically the gathering of people, egree, entrance, light requirements kick in based on sq/ft. of the assembly space.

While you might be well right to be concerned but an "assembly" inside a mixed use building doesn't over ride what is required to be an all assembly code requirement.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Who cares your an electrician not a carpenter. If the wall is wrong you won't be the one fixing it. If it needs fixing and you need to rewire, it will be a real nice extra.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I guess all the building are the same in your hood!

Down here they have churchs taking over industral strip mall rental space.
Once inside it's like they just don't care about building codes but have some
vision of function and safety wasn't part of the vision!

It doesn't take much to uderstand building types verses appling building codes,
Some areas spell it out quite clearly and other will supply charts and graphs.

If anything a lack of understanding is just about as grave as it gets, I appluide
the OP for stating a position of concern.

Far be it of me to judge that any one job would be a bitter taste to deal with daily!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts