Electrician Talk banner

Planning stages for sub panel

763 Views 5 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  MikeFL
The house I recently purchased has a FULL GE panel rated at 200A.
The area seems to be prone to surges. While researching a whole house surge protector. Even an external protector requires a DP 30+ amp breaker. My plan is to install a sub panel next to the existing panel.
I would think that putting a 200a sub would be best. However it looks like I will need to relocate at least 3 existing DP breakers. 1 for the surge protector, and 2 for the 200a (THQMV200WL). I have never put a 200a - 200a connection in service. My hands on stops at 100a sub panels. So, I see there are 4 lugs on the GE side, but I haven't decided on the sub panel brand. I'm leaning towards Square D. Can someone point me in the direction of a schematic for that connection, OR shoud I put a 100a sub panel and move a bunch of low amperage breakers to the new sub panel, in which case, I would probably use a GE panel because I would already have the breakers. Any/all advice would be appreciated.

TIA, & Happy New Year
  • Like
Reactions: Majewski
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Super Moderator
Florida, USA
9,233 Posts
Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. However, working with electricity and electrical systems can be unsafe if not done by a professional licensed electrician. The moderators of this site would like to advise you to contact a professional electrician in your area. If you are permitted by law in your area to do your own electrical work, please sign up at our sister site, www.DIYChatroom.com where many of our professionals are also members and are looking forward to assist you with your needs. Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to Register We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Not open for further replies.