Electrician Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking and I can't seem to find where the rule/standard is at for bonding a plastic tank greater than 50 gallons containing a flammable liquid in a hazardous location to reduce the risk of static electricity? Ideally in Canada, but if there is one for the NEC/NFPA I can maybe do some further searches from there?

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I thought it was only during dispensing or handling.. Let's see what you come up with.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought it was only during dispensing or handling.. Let's see what you come up with.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
I always thought the tanks were to be bonded, so that when the truck comes to fill the tank, there is zero potential from the fill hose to the fluid in the tank. The tanks have either carbon steel or stainless steel piping to the suction of a pump. In the past, we've always bonded using a pipe clamp, or the lug on the mounting flange on the tank. It could have been a specification I've always worked by?

·
Hackenschmidt
11,667 Posts
I think it probably has to be added in to the job spec / engineering.

A link from OSHA

Bonding and grounding of plastic containers during transfer of Class I flammable liquids. | Occupational Safety and Health Administration

NFPA 77 - Recommended Practice on Static Electricity

·
Registered
14,437 Posts
Generally non-conductive tanks just aren't recommended for flammables. NFPA 30 doesn't completely rule it out but there are some limitations.

13.7 is the section in 77 is the section that you're looking for, goes over some recommendations on what to do if you can't avoid the plastic tank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts