Electrician Talk banner

Plc box clearance 18 wheeler load area

1337 Views 16 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  just the cowboy
This box has been installed at an area where 18 wheelers load up on chemicals and such
as you can see its obvious as hell that if anyone works on that box and a truck is there it wont clear the clearances needed also feom my point of view that is a safety hazard since if you are facing against the truck area you cant tell if its coming in right or straight towards the box (accidents happen all the time right?) .
So what do you guys think is this installation wrong or am i overthinking it?? Also does plc boxes fall under electrical boxes clearances or not??
Automotive tire Gas Building Motor vehicle Machine

Sky Gas Naval architecture Building Automotive tire
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
3,632 Posts
IMO, there's enough clearance. The truck would have to drive onto the cement pad and wipe out the piping. How much clearance are you hoping for?
If you wanted to submit a recommendation, request a concrete bolard on either side of the panel, so long as adding them doesn't create a larger hazard. Such as having to maneuver around the post into the driving lane for access, or if they are too close and the door hits them or doesn't open all the way.

· Electrical Contractor
5,979 Posts
Write up a safety procedure which includes cones and tape when the enclosure is being serviced.
When you're working on the controls, chances are the loading facility is out of commission

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The way i see it , i wouldnt want ever to have to serve that box and an 18 wheeler behind me , with me having no idea if its coming straight to me or not, no amount of compensation will bring a person back or your limbs back, so thats my point of view, i believe they should take worst case scenario into account right now before an incident happens....

· Registered
Master Electrician - Ontario
4,153 Posts
No issue there. As the truck comes in, you step to the side. Once parked, go back to work..., when it leaves, step to the side again.
What am I missing? Is this a real issue? I get more nervous working on a lighting contactor with fork lifts buzzing around then a situation like this. In this case there are tons of egress routes!

Cheers
John

· Registered
industrial E,I&C
4,786 Posts
Biggest problem is going to be when a tanker pulls off with the hose attached and drags all the pipe work in to the panel. Second problem is going to be the vibration from a truck idling while filling or unloading but the panel looks like its going to be near the back of the trailer rather then up near the cab. No HMI or non led-lights so that should be ok.

· Registered
industrial E,I&C
4,786 Posts
No issue there. As the truck comes in, you step tot he side. Once parked, go back to work..., when it leaves, step tot eh side again.
What am I missing? Is this a real issue? I get more nervous working on a lighting contactor with fork lifts buzzing around then a situation like this. In this case there are tones of egress routes!

Cheers
John

Been explaining arc flash and egress at work on lift-station designs that have 480v. My kit can take the arc flash but i do not need to stumble backwards and end up falling into a lift station. OP's panel is not wired and the conduit is not in the concrete so maybe they would be open to turning the panel 90 degrees

· Registered
14,598 Posts
Looks like a pretty typical small load/unload rack. Usually non drivers/chemical operators aren't allowed near the rack while transferring chemicals anyway.

At the plants we work at for any electrical or mechanical work we'd have to block of the truck lane or if it's a rail rack have the proper signs and derailers installed.

· Registered
442A -Industrial Electrician's ticket since '93
477 Posts
The major issue will be working in the panel. A safety plan needs to be created and enforced. What would have been wrong with rotating 90' when it was planted? Short of a vehicle jumping a curb, problem minimized.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No issue there. As the truck comes in, you step to the side. Once parked, go back to work..., when it leaves, step to the side again.
What am I missing? Is this a real issue? I get more nervous working on a lighting contactor with fork lifts buzzing around then a situation like this. In this case there are tons of egress routes!

Cheers
John
There are forlifts working around this area continously when trucks are not loading.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Been explaining arc flash and egress at work on lift-station designs that have 480v. My kit can take the arc flash but i do not need to stumble backwards and end up falling into a lift station. OP's panel is not wired and the conduit is not in the concrete so maybe they would be open to turning the panel 90 degrees
Panel wont be moved but they agreed it needs extra protection so theyll mark the floor and install concrete poles .

· Registered
442A -Industrial Electrician's ticket since '93
477 Posts
For extra protection consider a horizontal barrier supported by two bollards say 6' apart. Have brackets on the bollards that support the barrier. Instead of the tedious chore of unbolting it for panel access, it can be lifted aside easily by one guy ( or two if your union ...lol) ..... sorry; I'm an old union guy - couldn't resist !

· Registered
Unemployed
4,951 Posts
The only issue I would have is the step off as you backed up as a trip hazard, it don't look like 36" ground before the curb.
For the future they did not need the support gussets in the back and could of just used a better rack and moved it back.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.