Electrician Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Water treatment plant maintenance
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just barely learning programming and given my limited exposure I dont know very much about program design. I'm hoping I can gather ideas for a specific program to see different peoples approaches to the same problem.

Basic idea is a two motor lead/lag that alternates which motor is lead every cycle. I played with it some today and ended up getting a program to work but I doubt it's a traditional approach. I ended up using a push on pull off output and set/reset outputs vs a traditional latching contact scheme. I was just playing in the software to see how different things work. So how would you guys approach this program?

·
Registered
125 Posts
So I use a count up with a reset and multiple floats. Float then reset the counter after motor 2 runs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Industrial Mostly, Panels and drives
31 Posts
2 ways I have done this in the past - Using a calendar (the siemens BAS has a time of day variable built into the program) so once the CPU has a date set, it was used say, every Tuesday at 5am (usually tried to do any flipping right before people were in, but not while they would be using it). Basically an if statement (if 1 = on then set 2 on and 1 off ect).

Otherwise I would do something similar in ladder logic, have a counter in parallel with the rung, count to 1 when motor a turns on. If counter 1 is greater then 0 turn off motor 1 turn on motor 2. When motor 2's counter = 1 reset counters and have a defined variable that goes off a timer set for every - 7 to 14 days? Depending on your software this could be easy or hard to do. You should be able to reference the date, but I honestly find it easy to just use a timer and counter to count 7 days. I think I am saying the same thing here Matt is, just more confusing.

Also, there is rarely anything "traditional" with all the companies. Most companies have a way they do it, with a syntax they use in a style they prefer. If it works, it works. The fun comes when an operator does something out of sequence that you would never expect.

·
Registered
Master Electrician - Ontario
3,499 Posts
What software are you using? Unless you are using a real-world alternating relay, the counter seems to be the easiest option. I use this scenario for my Level III students for an air compressor. Pump 1 runs, then shuts off. Pump 2 runs then shuts off. Pump 1 runs again. If a pump runs more than 30 mins (in class 30 seconds), then the second pump starts. If the pressure drops below a certain level, regardless of the timing both pumps will start.

Cheers
John

·
Registered
Water treatment plant maintenance
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm using automation direct do more designer. Boss ordered a brx and a c more hmi for us to play with. Your air compressor example is exactly the scenario I'm working on. Been playing with timers this morning but haven't quite got it to work yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts