Electrician Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I have been an IBEW 702 Electrician since 2003, I have been fortunate enough to obtain an Associates of Applied Science degree in Industrial Electronics and am 1 year away from a B.S. in Electronic Systems Technologies, in which my 3 major options are "Automation and Control," "Biomedical Technologies," and "Networking and Communication Systems." Also I have 1 year accomplished in Business Administration. My dilemma is that I would like to become an Electrical Design Engineer, or Electrical Designer, who lays out the prints, calculations, etc. I do not think that the EST B.S. would help me get this position. I need to know some opinions of what exactly I would need to do to become qualified for this type of position. Are their MEP Architectural Cad certificates? One year certificates in CAD? And what are the most desired One year Occupational Certificates for Electricians/Technicians/I and E Technicians.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
As I have been an IBEW 702 Electrician since 2003, I have been fortunate enough to obtain an Associates of Applied Science degree in Industrial Electronics and am 1 year away from a B.S. in Electronic Systems Technologies, in which my 3 major options are "Automation and Control," "Biomedical Technologies," and "Networking and Communication Systems." Also I have 1 year accomplished in Business Administration. My dilemma is that I would like to become an Electrical Design Engineer, or Electrical Designer, who lays out the prints, calculations, etc. I do not think that the EST B.S. would help me get this position. I need to know some opinions of what exactly I would need to do to become qualified for this type of position. Are their MEP Architectural Cad certificates? One year certificates in CAD? And what are the most desired One year Occupational Certificates for Electricians/Technicians/I and E Technicians.

Any of the big corporations that build big could use someone that does this sort of thing.

Welcome to the forum.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Why would you leave a local that has the market share and respect that 702 does? $40/hr plus bennies in southern Illinois is is about the best wage vs. Cost of living any local provides.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Response

Over 100 men on the books for the last 2 years. I cannot travel due to joint custody of my son. And after checking into this you can make much much more designing power distribution systems, communication systems, especially at an MEP firm or consulting outfit.

·
Proud Navy Veteran
1,429 Posts
Based on what you want to do you should purse your BSEE then get your PE license. Here in Florida a BSET cannot test for the PE because that degree program is not ABET accredited. The only reason I know this is because I'm finally considering going back to school and I've been researching all of my options and talking to various schools. Working for the Gov't. I'm afraid I've reached my plateau without an engineering degree.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.