Electrician Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Electrician
4,474 Posts
This is a temp pole for new construction. It is not a service disconnect, so rules for a disconnect ahead of the panel don't apply. At least where I'm at they don't. This is exactly how I/we set up temp poles (except for the goofy bracing). Just a meterbase, small panel, riser, weatherhead, grounding system (ground rod). Or, if you can find them, a temp box that has the breaker spaces and receptacles made in them, also a meterbase that goes on top.
I'm also at a loss as to what the inspector is talking about unless he/she is talking about the service disconnect that goes on the building at the service. This is not a main service, it is a temp service.

·
Registered
Electrician
4,474 Posts
Well . . . .
That was never true.
The six-means or less rule allowed no main disconnect.
The six motions or less of the hand was the main disconnect.
And the six motions of the hand option was removed in the 2020.
Maybe not where you're at, but temp poles here are set up and treated just as I described. I don't get applying the new 2020 rule for a disconnect ahead of the service to a temp pole/service. The disconnect is mainly for the fire department to shut off all the power. You don't exactly need to have the fire department for a temp service. It's usually one or two workers plugging in their tools. You're not powering a house!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts