Electrician Talk banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Fond of three phase
1,649 Posts
I turned it on about 500am...took it off 2 hours later. Probably ran straight for two hours. I felt the plug and it was Hot... as were the prongs in the outlet...the whole thing heated up pretty well.
There's probably a loose connection inside the Kill-A -Watt. I have three of them and all work perfect. I used them to track the wattages that my small Pelonis heat furnaces draw. They don't use nichrome and the output is controlled electronically.
I buy this type of heater at thrift shops and the first thing I do is, test them at full wattage and after an hour or two, check the cord and plug, for excessive heat. :rolleyes:

·
Fond of three phase
1,649 Posts
Just curious as to how much it actually costs to run a small heater for a month.
You should have bought the Kill-A-Watt EZ. I picked one up at the G/W. $1.99, plus tax. Like brand new.
I looked it up on the internet, as I didn't know how to program it. This one has an option that you can enter the cost per KWH and it shows the cost of usage. :rolleyes:
When I looked up the instructions, a Grainger pop-up appeared. They sell it for $58.90. :laughing:

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
You should have bought the Kill-A-Watt EZ. I picked one up at the G/W. $1.99, plus tax. Like brand new...
Sounds about right: I thought I remembered seeing these things for much cheaper than I would expect any metering device to be. For those kinda prices, I don't think a little smoke and char is unreasonable. :laughing:

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.