Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
8,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do mostly commercial/industrial electrical work, very few houses. I'm guessing that a plug-in neutral panel is aimed at resi and AFCIs. If so, can someone explain it a bit and is it worth the extra cost (if there is any)?

The last house I did was about 10 years ago and AFCIs were not required. One of my friends has recently poured the stem walls for their new house and I'm doing the electrical. I'll be using Sq. D QO.

Thanks,
Rob.

·
Registered
12,634 Posts
Are the breakers and panels available? The panel is definitely cleaner looking. But I like to run 14/3 home runs and double pole arcfault breakers, dual function for the kitchen circuits, so no GFCI receptacles. Saves time, and money.

·
Safety Pin Member
2,255 Posts
I haven't used one of the plug-in-neutral panels yet.
Seems it'd save a few minutes but not enough for me to care.
It'd also reduce the wire fill in the box making it easier for me and
anyone in the future. I like that part.
Don't know the price difference.
P&L

·
corn-fused
4,769 Posts
here abouts the price is about the same the same room, a little less hassle and no doubt that the neutral is connected! so far, i like them!and the qo come that way too, but there is still less space in the qo. why?

·
Big nosed attic troll
7,567 Posts
Are the breakers and panels available? The panel is definitely cleaner looking. But I like to run 14/3 home runs and double pole arcfault breakers, dual function for the kitchen circuits, so no GFCI receptacles. Saves time, and money.
Dp dual?

·
Big nosed attic troll
7,567 Posts
Good point.... not sure I had one. I'm exhausted and not thinking clearly.
Did you mean you get the dual functions ones or the dual afi/gfi? I'm unaware of dual dp afi/gfi....

·
Registered
12,634 Posts
Good point.... not sure I had one. I'm exhausted and not thinking clearly.
Did you mean you get the dual functions ones or the dual afi/gfi? I'm unaware of dual dp afi/gfi....
I use the double pole arcfault breakers for my 15 amp bedroom, living room, hallway etc circuits, because I can feed them with a 14/3 and they cost about $75, so they are cheaper than two SP breakers. The kitchen I feed with the dual function 20 amp because they cost the same as a straight arcfault and I save by not having to install gfci receptacles.

·
Big nosed attic troll
7,567 Posts
Ok now I get it. So you're not saying you had a dual afi/gfi dp breaker.... That's what caught my eye. I day dream of those being available.

·
Manufacturer
19 Posts
I do mostly commercial/industrial electrical work, very few houses. I'm guessing that a plug-in neutral panel is aimed at resi and AFCIs. If so, can someone explain it a bit and is it worth the extra cost (if there is any)?

The last house I did was about 10 years ago and AFCIs were not required. One of my friends has recently poured the stem walls for their new house and I'm doing the electrical. I'll be using Sq. D QO.

Thanks,
Rob.
Hey Rob - Thanks for the question. Our product experts for QO Plug-On Neutral will provide you with some additional suggestions within the next 24 hours. In the mean time, take a look at our youtube videos for a quick look of the Behind the Counter Series on QO, residential applications & other electrical offers >

·
Manufacturer
11 Posts

Thanks,
Rob.
Hi Rob,
The Plug-On Neutral panels are mainly made for use with residential applications with a large number of arc fault and/or dual function breakers. The point of the panels is to greatly reduce the amount of clutter in the gutter space of the load center, as it eliminates the large pigtail wires that are on the older style of arc fault and dual function breakers. With the elimination of that pigtail, it clears up the gutter considerably, and makes wiring much easier. Check out the attached data sheet for more information.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
I'm a fan of the plug on neutral breakers. We are 100% Square-D now for panels/switchgear, so I've gotten some practice with them. One thing to keep in mind is it makes things easier when you install them from the bottom of the panel up and then put your regular breakers at the top. The plug on breakers use up a lot of gutter space and it makes it easier to fight with the smaller breakers once it starts filling up. We don't use double-pole arc faults like backstay does, as from our suppliers the 2-pole arc faults are more than double the price. Nothing wrong with his method, though.

ETA: Also a fan of dual function breakers. From our suppliers we save about $4/circuit when using them versus an afci breaker and gfci receptacle.

·
Super Moderator
Retired
17,454 Posts
I would like to see a picture of one. Inside.
I am helping a friend with a new panel and he got a Homeline with plug in neutral. 200 amp 30 space.
I told him I had no idea what a plug in neutral is.
We will not be adding any AFCI breakers. Just standard 1 and 2 pole breakers.
Will this cause me any issues?
I have never used Homeline and never heard of the plug in neutral.

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
I am helping a friend with a new panel and he got a Homeline with plug in neutral. 200 amp 30 space.
No issues. They still work fine with regular breakers.

·
Manufacturer
11 Posts
Hi John,
Let me see if I can get you a photo. To do that, could you help me understand what you're wanting to see exactly? Are you looking for the inside of the Homeline Load Center you'll be working with, or something else?
In the meantime, have you checked out the Behind the Counter video Sarah posted earlier in the thread? It may help you get a visual as well. :)

·
Super Moderator
Retired
17,454 Posts
Hi John,
Let me see if I can get you a photo. To do that, could you help me understand what you're wanting to see exactly? Are you looking for the inside of the Homeline Load Center you'll be working with, or something else?
In the meantime, have you checked out the Behind the Counter video Sarah posted earlier in the thread? It may help you get a visual as well. :)
Yes, the inside (cover removed) of a Homeline panel that has the "plug in neutral".

·
Super Moderator
Retired
17,454 Posts
This is a perfect example of salespeople that know absolutely nothing about their product.
Square D should know by now that informed sales folks are better sales folks.

·
Manufacturer
11 Posts
Yes, the inside (cover removed) of a Homeline panel that has the "plug in neutral".
Hi John, here is an image of the panel you mentioned. I also have a larger PDF file that contains more images, but unfortunately the size of that file is too large to post in here. If you would like me to send that file to you, I can try to send it through a Direct Message or email, just let me know!

Attachments

·
Manufacturer
11 Posts
This is a perfect example of salespeople that know absolutely nothing about their product.
Square D should know by now that informed sales folks are better sales folks.
Our apologies for the delay in getting this photo to you. We are moderators in an online forum, not sales representatives. We are supported by a team of product and technical representatives from across the country and appreciate your patience as we work with this network to provide you with answers to your specific questions as best as we can. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.