Electrician Talk banner

Plug strip installation

8K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  DeepOne 
#1 ·
When you guys add a plug strip to an existing outlet.
How do you make the connections?
I've been doing this the same way for some time and wonder if there is a better method.
I know I get one shot at the cut lengths or the outlets don't go back in there sockets well at all.

Here are some pics of one I did today.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
I must say, not to patronize but to appreciate, that is nice work Tab.
Except for the DeWalt drill motor, ha

Why the leatherman pliers instead of a pair of needlenose? And do you like those Klein strippers over Ideal's? (all I've ever used are Ideal's). Also that shortened Checkpoint level, do you prefer that for any reason?

If you haven't noticed I have little to no experience with plugmold, hope you didn't mind....

Edit; also I noticed you make your butt splices with one crimp at 90 degrees to the other... I always did them on the same plane, though I was never taught either/any way.....?

#6 ·
When I'm coming in the end of Plugmold, I use the V2010 end entrance fitting and little orange wire nuts fit inside. When I'm coming in the middle, I use a V2048 box with a blank cover to house the splice and run the Plugmold out each side. The V2048 box has 2000 series twist-outs the same way the 5748's do for 500/700. Your method (Tab) will probably last forever and ever too.

#7 ·
I never thought of putting in a box then running 2 pieces.
I do not like splicing inside like that, pain in the azz.
I have PT'd (buchanan) them before, that's probably a better splice.

The leatherman is out just because it is on my hip virtually 24-7, Habit.
The strippers I love, they have a spring but also a lock for sticking them in your pouch. I don't wear a tool pouch but have a small pocket pouch that I just clip on my belt. holds:

Dikes
strippers
magnet in bottom with misc. screws, ground clips, few wire nuts
mini channel locks
mag light
6 in 1 driver

As for the crimps 90 degrees, pure fluke
but when I crimp forks or spades with T&Bs I always punch opposite the split in the barrel.

I love the level, small, great magnets, and the no dog feature.
I don't use it very often. Occasionaly on my chicago bender.

and HCEC I'm sure the 2 wire thing is not legal, and what a pain to get (2) 12s in there.

#10 ·
plug mold is a pain in the butt, and in my opinion doesn't look very good either.
Only nice when it's not going to be seen
Although that installation doesn't look bad at all. What did you use to attach it to the tile? Did you use a standard hammer drill to make the anchor holes Tab?

#13 ·
I had to print out some catalog pages from the Wiremold catalog today for a builder, and I noticed a Wiremold part that would have really helped this install. They make a Wago type connector that has two ports in each end. Pretty trick. Wiremold W30 is the part number.

#15 ·
Those W30 splices work the exact same way as Tab installed the crimps. Three of them will lay nicely side by side in the W/M channel.

Yes, they are the Wago type connector, but they are approved (and sold) by W/M, and they work.

#17 ·
Humm , I never thought about that type of connector in the wiremold i have few quirks before with other type of buttconnectors but once i did see what MD show on the screen i can understand it clear.

MD, what type of crimpper you used for the wiremold #W30 ?

thanks again

Merci , Marc

#21 ·
tell ya the truth ,..

most of the time i genrally try to stay away from the Wago device but there is one spot i have to use it all the time is the flourscent lumiaire due the safety reason [ i hate to work on hot ] .

but seems they are ok to me as long it not hevey loaded but some of the wagos were listed for both soild and stranded wires but most percentage i just used for small gauge wire hook up with wago i know they have few diffrent verison of it.

thanks again

Merci , Marc

#23 ·
We've been using Wagos for a year now, and I'm a bit weary of them also.

But I think the problems of the old back stab receptacles stemmed mainly from a the amount of use a recptacle sees.

Meaning every time you plug in or unplug a device you 'shake' the connection looser and looser.

I also believe that a back stab receptacle connection could last indefinetly if done properly.

#24 · (Edited)
I think reliability of the connectors Wago does not cause the doubts under load in 2/3 from declared as limiting. For aluminum conductor this value possible to reduce before 1/2. Also, it is necessary to take into account that worked terminal does not stand to stir since herewith leaves the fine layer of the soft metal lightening contact inwardly terminal. Possible, there was offer the producer to release terminal under double wire set that will prevent rotation the wire in grip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.