Electrician Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if using ready rod and plumbing hangers is to code? We hang a lot of 2" pipe this way for extra low voltage and haven't had any problems with inspections.
Thanks

·
Electric Al
4,823 Posts
I M O if the hangers are heavy enough to carry liquid distribution pipes , then I would assume they would be able to carry the weight of conduits that carry wiring .

·
Small Potatoes
5,457 Posts
I M O if the hangers are heavy enough to carry liquid distribution pipes , then I would assume they would be able to carry the weight of conduits that carry wiring .

View attachment 33948
You won't get an argument from me on the physical capabilities of those hangers, however, it doesn't matter if it was heavy enough to hang a 747 off of.

If it ain't listed for the support of electrical conduit it could and probably will be a problem if an electrical inspection is required and the inspector is doing his job.:)

·
Electrical Contractor
Trying to retire or at least slow down a bit, but life not cooperating
5,270 Posts
Sure, we do it quite a bit when crossing open spaces

Caddy / Erico loop hanger is C UL approved,

so is this one

and then there is their lightweight hanger ( 100 lbs)

·
Registered
826 Posts
2-024 Use of approved equipment (see Appendix A)
Electrical equipment used in electrical installations within the jurisdiction of the inspection department shall be approved and shall be of a kind or type and rating approved for the specific purpose for which it is to be employed.

If it isn't meant for electrical, you can't use it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
2-024 Use of approved equipment (see Appendix A)
Electrical equipment used in electrical installations within the jurisdiction of the inspection department shall be approved and shall be of a kind or type and rating approved for the specific purpose for which it is to be employed.

If it isn't meant for electrical, you can't use it.
I love to play devil advocate......

Are EMT straps approved to secure reckless cable?

Common sense has to prevail for all

Goodluck

·
Registered
826 Posts
buddyyemen said:
I love to play devil advocate...... Are EMT straps approved to secure reckless cable? Common sense has to prevail for all Goodluck
Are you trying to be clever? The code rule is very simple. Plumbing is not meant for electrical unless it is approved for it. Pretty simple.

·
Electrical Contractor
Trying to retire or at least slow down a bit, but life not cooperating
5,270 Posts
I love to play devil advocate......

Are EMT straps approved to secure reckless cable?

Common sense has to prevail for all

Goodluck
reckless cable?? that's an American thing?

·
Registered
826 Posts
wcord said:
reckless cable?? that's an American thing?
I think his English isn't very good. He is probably referring to guys using 2" straps to run cat5e or something. And the answer to that is a simple no.

They are UL listed as follows : " Used to secure EMT conduit to mounting surfaces or to provide space between conduit and mounting surfaces."
!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sorry. Auto correct.

I meant TECK cable.

IMO. The inspector has to in force the rules not make his own. If its not in the CEC and doesn't present life or fire hazard on what grounds does the inspector have to defect it

Two examples. #1. What is the approved fastener for teck cable? PVC straps...EMT....1 hole or two....ridgid. the rule the inspector should apply is the adequate support and spacing.

#2. Outlet boxes. What is the approved method to mount them to wood studs? #8. #10. 1". 3". The code is specific in not through the box but not type of hardware

I would install and have installed the pipe hangers no issues with the proper spacing as per CEC

Goodluck

·
Registered
826 Posts
buddyyemen said:
Sorry. Auto correct. I meant TECK cable. IMO. The inspector has to in force the rules not make his own. If its not in the CEC and doesn't present life or fire hazard on what grounds does the inspector have to defect it
A product that is ULc or CSA listed is only approved if the product is being used as intended. Just because you can use it for something else doesn't mean it is approved for that use. 1/2 " copper pipe is CSA and ULc approved, so I should be able to use it as electrical raceway?

An inspector can require you replace/remove anything that isn't being used as intended. It isn't up to you to decide how a product should be used, safe or otherwise. That job falls to the inspector, which is why you never piss them off. You would be surprised by what an inspector will pass, they do have common sense.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts