Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my customers owns a summer camp facility. It has something like 20-30 individual buildings. The facility is used for 2-3 months during the summer and then completely shut down, all main breakers off.
Utility provides 13.8 KV which is distributed throughout the camp and then transformed down to service each individual building. There is only 1 meter for the entire campus which is located at the entrance, it meters the 13.8 KV lines using CTs.
Problem is he's getting billed by his utility company between $2000-$4000 a monthly during the winter months when there should be absolutely no electrical consumption. He asked me if that is normal, I told him of course not, and to email me a copy of his bills so I can look them over myself.
I'm still waiting for him to send me over those bills, but in the meantime just looking for some feedback has anyone had this type of problem ?
I wonder if this maybe caused by a relatively small short from one of the overhead conductors to ground. Not large enough to blow the poco fuses but large enough to be charged a fortune.

·
Registered
413 Posts
One of my customers owns a summer camp facility. It has something like 20-30 individual buildings. The facility is used for 2-3 months during the summer and then completely shut down, all main breakers off.
Utility provides 13.8 KV which is distributed throughout the camp and then transformed down to service each individual building. There is only 1 meter for the entire campus which is located at the entrance, it meters the 13.8 KV lines using CTs.
Problem is he's getting billed by his utility company between $2000-$4000 a monthly during the winter months when there should be absolutely no electrical consumption. He asked me if that is normal, I told him of course not, and to email me a copy of his bills so I can look them over myself.
I'm still waiting for him to send me over those bills, but in the meantime just looking for some feedback has anyone had this type of problem ?
I wonder if this maybe caused by a relatively small short from one of the overhead conductors to ground. Not large enough to blow the poco fuses but large enough to be charged a fortune.
Does the meter show the KWH's going up all winter?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a pretty confusing meter in the first place, and then it has a 700 multiply factor, but as far as I can tell yes, there is definitely electricity being consumed, the meter advanced 1 kWh in one week i.e. 700 kWh.
And as far as wells, yes there are number of wells on grounds, but all of them are completely shut off.

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
Is your customer being billed for actual use or are they on a msonthly plan that prorates annual use?
That would be my guess. Or, they're sending him estimated bills in the winter because of access issues, and they just assume it's occupied The other option is that he signed up with one of those power companies that promised him over the phone to save him money, and they soak it to you in the winter, such as many in my area have found out. I've had a few people who normally get 60-dollar electric bills get 1600-2000 dollar bills in Jan and Feb.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Stand in front of the meter !
Is it moving ? Turn off breakers until it stops !
That is which circuit is using power .
Go from there !
Easy !

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
dmxtothemax said:
Stand in front of the meter ! Is it moving ? Turn off breakers until it stops ! That is which circuit is using power . Go from there ! Easy !
it has a multiplier of 700 i'll be standing there if pretty long time before it moves one kilowatt hour

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
here's just a thought, if there metering the primary of the 13.8 kv line, & they have several pots(transformers) on this line, then you have a primary that is drawing some current, even there is no load on the secondary.it would be small on one pot but if you had several it would add up.of course when ya load the secondary the primary current increases. is this a new digital meter or an old mechanical meter? electronic meters are a little more accurate.:whistling2:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
circuitman1 said:
here's just a thought, if there metering the primary of the 13.8 kv line, & they have several pots(transformers) on this line, then you have a primary that is drawing some current, even there is no load on the secondary.it would be small on one pot but if you had several it would add up.of course when ya load the secondary the primary current increases. is this a new digital meter or an old mechanical meter? electronic meters are a little more accurate.:whistling2:
Is that really true!?
Yes, of course there are probably about 10 pole mounted transformers throughout the grounds. If you're right about that he can have the poco come and disconnect
the whole campus for the duration of the winter and save $10-$15,000.
Yes this is a new fancy digital meter which is impossible to read, by the time its busy telling you about the kVA and the kW and KWh and kVar and the line to line volts and mind you this is all basically symbolized in code what measurement its giving you.

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
Is that really true!?
Yes, of course there are probably about 10 pole mounted transformers throughout the grounds. If you're right about that he can have the poco come and disconnect
the whole campus for the duration of the winter and save $10-$15,000.
Yes this is a new fancy digital meter which is impossible to read, by the time its busy telling you about the kVA and the kW and KWh and kVar and the line to line volts and mind you this is all basically symbolized in code what measurement its giving you.
Perhaps ask if he could save money by individually metering each service as opposed to primary metering?

AFAIK, large users will save some $ by using primary metering but this may not be one of those situations.

Pete

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
yes, they do draw some power, i belive it's called magnetizing current. it should be a realtively small amount though.they could put an amp clamp on the line & see what it's drawing. they have special types for hi voltage. but some else seems to be at work here. what is his usage for one month?:)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.