Electrician Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Electrician
4,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone used the Polaris Blues for an underground splice on Al wire, specifically XLPE/USE-2?

Or is there a better splice kit available? I'd rather not have to use a heat shrink product, but if they are better I guess I would.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Ilsco USPA-350SS-DB They are readily available, I've been using them for years,never had a failure. Pick up a 1/4" drive to fit a 1/4" drive socket with an allen shank(5/16") in it for smooth install. The price is right compared to other mfg. I keep at least (9) on the truck. Nik Sek reviewed a NWS cable cutters that appear to be just the ticket for working down a hole,in the water and not having enough room to use Greenlee cutter. I got the NWS (one-handed)cutter,but haven't used them on the job,just on the bench. The Germans are engineering better tools for the same market as Klein,Greenlee,etc.. Nik Sek tool reviews are on the pretty good!

·
Registered
Electrician
4,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ilsco USPA-350SS-DB They are readily available, I've been using them for years,never had a failure. Pick up a 1/4" drive to fit a 1/4" drive socket with an allen shank(5/16") in it for smooth install. The price is right compared to other mfg. I keep at least (9) on the truck. Nik Sek reviewed a NWS cable cutters that appear to be just the ticket for working down a hole,in the water and not having enough room to use Greenlee cutter. I got the NWS (one-handed)cutter,but haven't used them on the job,just on the bench. The Germans are engineering better tools for the same market as Klein,Greenlee,etc.. Nik Sek tool reviews are on the pretty good!
Do you use heat shrink with these?

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
I've never used a Polaris blue yet, I'd like to try one sometime. I've always used aluminum buttsplices and adhesive lined heatshrink. I've never had a callback on any of my repairs yet...?

Just looked at the specs, they're even rated for submersion. That'd be good enough for me!:thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.