Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my aunt gave me an old floor lamp in hopes that I could get it working. Basically all the original wiring had petrified and started crumbling so I just gutted it and re wired the whole thing. It's one of them two tier types with two switches giving a combination of energized sockets. I got the thing done but all I have at home is a non polarized male cord end at home. Should I put it on or wait and get the better option? Speak

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
Polarized. Non-polarized means the neutral could end up being the switched conductor which would make the socket shell hot, and also leave the lamp base hot when it was being changed in the "off" position. Good recipe for someone to get a buzz.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Big John said:
Polarized. Non-polarized means the neutral could end up being the switched conductor which would leave the socket shell hot, and also leave the lamp base hot when it was being changed. Good recipe for someone to get a buzz.
My thoughts too. The fixture works identically regardless of the orientation of the plug obviously but that's not something the non electrical type can grasp. It's family, I shouldn't even have had to ask

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Semi-Ret Electrician said:
Yes a polarized plug and ground on the lamp would be a tremendous safety feature to an old floor lamp
Grounding the lamp never really occurred to me. Shoot, the lamps available today are still ungrounded and wired with zip cord.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Big John said:
Duh. Aunt = Polarized. Mother-in-Law = Non polarized.
Haha. I need an in-law like I need a hole in the head

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,117 Posts
Get a whole new cord and new switches and new lamp sockets. Rewire the whole shebang one day. Sleep well that night.

·
Fond of three phase
1,649 Posts
Get a whole new cord and new switches and new lamp sockets. Rewire the whole shebang one day. Sleep well that night.
Most of the floor lamps of that type are 65-70 years old. The sockets are probably NLA. The mogul base socket was like 15 bucks, ten years ago.
The sockets are probably OK yet. Just bend the center contact up and run all new wire.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Grounding the lamp never really occurred to me. Shoot, the lamps available today are still ungrounded and wired with zip cord.

YES !
But ungrounded eqiupment is usually made to a higher standard insulatiom wise !
Refered to as " double insulated "
The symbol is two concentric squares.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
This project is way above your skill level. Call an electrician.
Sorry ! But I dissagree !
Replacing cable in a floor lamp should be basic stuff !
That's why sites like this exist.
Electrcians can usually advise how to make it better and safer.
And not everyone can afford to pay an electrcian to do
A small simple job like this !

·
corn-fused
4,769 Posts
IMO, the old socket is better than the chit you can buy to replace it,unless it is burnt or damged! just replace the cord, and the switch if needed!

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Absolutely correct. I would hate to see him have to sell a guitar to hire an electrician for this job.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
8V71 said:
Absolutely correct. I would hate to see him have to sell a guitar to hire an electrician for this job.
Wouldn't happen. I'll hack and slash my to the top and leave countless dead before I sell a guitar. Quit sounding like my old lady damnit

·
Registered
261 Posts
This ain't diychat who let you out of the pen.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts