Electrician Talk banner

Polarized or not

2K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  bkmichael65 
#1 ·
So my aunt gave me an old floor lamp in hopes that I could get it working. Basically all the original wiring had petrified and started crumbling so I just gutted it and re wired the whole thing. It's one of them two tier types with two switches giving a combination of energized sockets. I got the thing done but all I have at home is a non polarized male cord end at home. Should I put it on or wait and get the better option? Speak

#3 ·
Big John said:
Polarized. Non-polarized means the neutral could end up being the switched conductor which would leave the socket shell hot, and also leave the lamp base hot when it was being changed. Good recipe for someone to get a buzz.
My thoughts too. The fixture works identically regardless of the orientation of the plug obviously but that's not something the non electrical type can grasp. It's family, I shouldn't even have had to ask

#10 ·
Get a whole new cord and new switches and new lamp sockets. Rewire the whole shebang one day. Sleep well that night.
Most of the floor lamps of that type are 65-70 years old. The sockets are probably NLA. The mogul base socket was like 15 bucks, ten years ago.
The sockets are probably OK yet. Just bend the center contact up and run all new wire.

#21 ·
Was the old plug polarized? Did the aunt ever get shocked from it? We have 2 antique lamps in the guest bedroom with non polarized plugs. I couldn't care less. Anyone touching the shell of a bulb while replacing it AND something grounded like the baseboard radiator deserves exactly what they get. Who the hell changes a bulb from the base anyway?

Reactions: dspiffy
#22 ·
Was the old plug polarized? Did the aunt ever get shocked from it? We have 2 antique lamps in the guest bedroom with non polarized plugs. I couldn't care less. Anyone touching the shell of a bulb while replacing it AND something grounded like the baseboard radiator deserves exactly what they get. Who the hell changes a bulb from the base anyway?
CFLs:whistling2:

#24 ·
IslandGuy said:
Yup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.