Electrician Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a bit of a doozy, so please be patient.
Going over a public use pool (made a post a little while ago about the change rooms).
Could not find any evidence of pool bonding anywhere at any panels....ordered the pool drained and to begin cutting the perimeter up so I can add bonding.
What I discovered is a bit hectic.

All pool equipment comes from a sub-panel with a splitter underneath it, as you can see in photo 5, all bonding is tied into the neutral. One of the 8 AWG goes to it’s own grounding electrode outside of the building (photo 3).
Photo 1 is another grounding electrode that makes it’s way to two pieces of rebar at one end of the pool (photo 2).

photo 4 is where the aluminum ladder was located, it has it’s own grounding electrode, which is tied into the concrete reinforcing mesh, and copper all-round strap with a self-tapping screw into the ladder.

photo 6&7 is my process of cutting the pool decking to expose four corners of rebar, I will also be bolting proper lugs onto the ladders feet, which will sit under the Concrete.
Today while working on this, I had the wonderful pleasure of having an aeronautical engineer get involved and tell me that I am an idiot, and will be sued over this.
I explained that as it stands, in the case of an electrical fault, a four year old could get electrocuted, and their parents would not even be able to pull them out.
The response?
“Well that four year old could also get hit by a car.”

sorry for the long-winded post.

had to vent this one out.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I am not strong on pools but there are a lot of very knowledgeable people on this forum who don't do pools and that's good enough for me. In a commercial setting I would be very tempted to get an engineer to design and stamp it.

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
1,455 Posts
Here in the US we have to use solid wire for pool bonding. We also bond the pool and not ground the pool as in the case of the bond wire going to the neutral lug. Also all bonding clamps have to be rated for the use and direct bury type. Is that a water pipe clamp on re-bar?

·
Registered
Power distribution and controls
571 Posts
I have done several commercial pools, in the states. As kb1jb1 stated we use solid bare wire.
Until you get to the pools that require bigger. The last pool I did had a 2/0 mat under the concrete, Cad welded ever 10 feet. EVERY thing tied to the 2/0 grid. You mention a ladder with its own ground rod, not acceptable. Anything metal with in 20 feet of the edge of the pool was bonded and tied into the 2/0. The smallest wire we used was #10 solid. That went to the hand rails and such. Verifying the ground on the 3 meter diving board was a fun project. It was just fine.

I had a Burndy cordless crimper so only problem was ordering the right crimp and getting it delivered. I had the concrete guys leave me 12x12 holes so I could get to the wire. Lots of pissing and moaning but at least we were progressing.

The contractor for the pool I do not believe had ever done a commercial pool before. He kept bringing up the basic specs for a back yard pool and I kept referring to the specs on the job to
keep wire sizes the same as original. I do not believe anyone knew the ground mat was 2/0

Glad your sticking to your guns, since you have the concrete cut anyway I would find it a great time to add a ring around the pool and attach it to everything you can get your hands on.
As I am sure you are aware you looking for equal potential for every thing metal near the pool.
Any way to get to the pumps and add them in to your new ground mat?
I have always maintained that commercial pumps are usually bronze. If the motor faults and with all of the chemicals in the water you have a possible disaster. I know this is a debateAbale point. I completed my career with out ever killing anyone or any animal.

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have done several commercial pools, in the states. As kb1jb1 stated we use solid bare wire.
Until you get to the pools that require bigger. The last pool I did had a 2/0 mat under the concrete, Cad welded ever 10 feet. EVERY thing tied to the 2/0 grid. You mention a ladder with its own ground rod, not acceptable. Anything metal with in 20 feet of the edge of the pool was bonded and tied into the 2/0. The smallest wire we used was #10 solid. That went to the hand rails and such. Verifying the ground on the 3 meter diving board was a fun project. It was just fine.

I had a Burndy cordless crimper so only problem was ordering the right crimp and getting it delivered. I had the concrete guys leave me 12x12 holes so I could get to the wire. Lots of pissing and moaning but at least we were progressing.

The contractor for the pool I do not believe had ever done a commercial pool before. He kept bringing up the basic specs for a back yard pool and I kept referring to the specs on the job to
keep wire sizes the same as original. I do not believe anyone knew the ground mat was 2/0

Glad your sticking to your guns, since you have the concrete cut anyway I would find it a great time to add a ring around the pool and attach it to everything you can get your hands on.
As I am sure you are aware you looking for equal potential for every thing metal near the pool.
Any way to get to the pumps and add them in to your new ground mat?
I have always maintained that commercial pumps are usually bronze. If the motor faults and with all of the chemicals in the water you have a possible disaster. I know this is a debateAbale point. I completed my career with out ever killing anyone or any animal.
Thank you, yeah...it's me cutting the ring out, so yes, I will be bonding to everything correctly and removing the grounding electrodes.
The way I see it, they have created a situation where I can easily have a potential difference between all of the grounding electrodes....especially with the pool pumps being bonded to the neutral.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts