Electrician Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Customer asked me to wire up his heat pump for his pool. Filter pump is right next to it. I noticed a lug on the filter pump where its bonded and was going to jump off of that. After a little investigation I noticed that all the last guy did was run a #8 from ground lug in the disconnect for the filter to the motor housing. I cant find any other bond on the pool. No way the filter electric was ever inspected cause his disco in 3' from the pool. I need to get an inspection. Thoughts on best way to bond this heat pump? Above ground pool.

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
Customer asked me to wire up his heat pump for his pool. Filter pump is right next to it. I noticed a lug on the filter pump where its bonded and was going to jump off of that. After a little investigation I noticed that all the last guy did was run a #8 from ground lug in the disconnect for the filter to the motor housing. I cant find any other bond on the pool. No way the filter electric was ever inspected cause his disco in 3' from the pool. I need to get an inspection. Thoughts on best way to bond this heat pump? Above ground pool.
You need the read 680, and also I would ask for an onsite meeting with the electrical inspector and even pay a fee to get him there for his opinion.

Bottom line It must be done right------No mistakes.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,520 Posts
If the pool qualifies as a storable pool-- look at 680.2 definitions of storable pool.-- then no perimeter bond is necessary. Storable pool section is very short so give it a peruse... Part III of 680

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
Remembering what BONDING is about, it is about creating a path for fault current if fault current happens. This is so that the over current device can disconnect the power to the circuit. If there is no bonding back to the source of the circuit supplying the filter pump...which is hard to believe, then you have to do it.

·
Banned
4,505 Posts
RIVETER said:
Remembering what BONDING is about, it is about creating a path for fault current if fault current happens. This is so that the over current device can disconnect the power to the circuit. If there is no bonding back to the source of the circuit supplying the filter pump...which is hard to believe, then you have to do it.
Either bond it of put it on a power saver ! Right?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.