Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I recently installed a 50A circuit for a pool heater, it’s been a about 2 weeks since the install & now the homeowner is telling me that the 50A breaker for the outside ac condenser is tripping when both circuits are running together, but the ac won’t trip if the pool heater is off.
Advice?

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
2,937 Posts
Two things

First Please fill out your profile so we know more about you, not a DYI.

Second is the new breaker under the ac breaker in panel, if so heat from heater breaker may be tripping ac breaker. If so move breakers apart from each other.
Good luck
Cowboy

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
32,721 Posts
Air conditioner's are closed minded xenophobic types. They particularly dislike pool heaters. I wish we could all just learn to get along................

Reactions: Ctsparky93

·
Registered
69 Posts
First Please fill out your profile so we know more about you, not a DYI.

Second is the new breaker under the ac breaker in panel, if so heat from heater breaker may be tripping ac breaker. If so move breakers apart from each other.
Good luck
Cowboy
+1
If breakers are adjacent, they're tripping on thermal not overload

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31,508 Posts
+1
If breakers are adjacent, they're tripping on thermal not overload

An overload results in a thermal activation.

Molded case circuit breakers trip for two reasons thermal, due to an overload and magnetic (instantaneous trip) due to a fault or any high inrush current that exceeds the rating of the Cb typically 6-10 times the CB rating.

·
Registered
69 Posts
An overload results in a thermal activation.

Molded case circuit breakers trip for two reasons thermal, due to an overload and magnetic (instantaneous trip) due to a fault or any high inrush current that exceeds the rating of the Cb typically 6-10 times the CB rating.
Is it possible for 2 loads in close proximity to each other on the bus to cause heating to the point that it trips a breaker without either being overloaded?

·
Registered
industrial E,I&C
3,220 Posts
If the panel has a problem supporting a 50 amp water heater and the start up amps required by the AC compressor then it will cause a low voltage situation. The heater doesn't care about voltage but the AC will struggle to start leading to higher amps which equals lower voltage which equals higher amps (up until the breaker trips).

Thats why i asked if theres a voltage drop when the ac starts. A hard start capacitor may be required.

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
correct...begging the question what's an outside wireman?
Isn't an AC and pool heater outside?:vs_laugh:
I think there was a military MOS for outside wireman. Not really something we use in the civilian world. Most people would call them a lineman. I call them pole monkeys.

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
I'd love to give you some, but I'd like to know what visual observations and meter measurements you've made so far to calibrate the advice a little more specifically for you.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
What type of breaker is it, that is tripping ?
Is it just a standard over currant cut out ?
Or is it something more like a GFCI or AFCI ?
:glasses:

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,592 Posts
I think there was a military MOS for outside wireman. Not really something we use in the civilian world. Most people would call them a lineman. I call them pole monkeys.
In the military it isn't linemen that run large gensets to provide power to various temporary facility loctions.

·
Modérateur
8,692 Posts
Hey guys,
I recently installed a 50A circuit for a pool heater, it’s been a about 2 weeks since the install & now the homeowner is telling me that the 50A breaker for the outside ac condenser is tripping when both circuits are running together, but the ac won’t trip if the pool heater is off.
Advice?
Here the thing .,,

If you have outdoor panel if you have them facing south then the sun can get the tempture inside of the outside panel more hotter so it will trip more earlier.

espcally if you have both are running at the same time.

Ya can check the current drawage with ampclamp but with the AC unit running you should be above the min. running amps if stated on nameplate.

and check the voltage drop when the heater is on too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts