Electrician Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to hear about this boy getting electrocuted from a pool light. I though these all had to be gfci protected, but checking the NEC 2014 again, apparently it is only required if the voltage is above the 'low voltage contact limit'.

I would think this would be changed since I have heard of people getting shocked from 24volts in lakes etc... Am I missing something? I also thought it was a requirement that any feed to the lights even if they are low voltage that it had to be low voltage anywhere near the pool.


http://www.local10.com/news/south-fla-boy-electrocuted-by-pool-light-while-swimming/25538944
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,411 Posts
In the video I saw two men touching the railing and feet in the water. Why were they not affected? I think that the problem is far deeper than that particular installation. They should inspect the utility and their "undergrounds".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,185 Posts
Is it just me or does the accompanying article make very little sense? The boys feet must've still been in the water if the CPR resulted in shock to the guy giving it? ground wire loose sent 120v to a 12v light? How? And why are we giving estimates for a repair in a tragic article when we obviously have no idea what we are talking about?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,969 Posts
Is it just me or does the accompanying article make very little sense? The boys feet must've still been in the water if the CPR resulted in shock to the guy giving it? ground wire loose sent 120v to a 12v light? How? And why are we giving estimates for a repair in a tragic article when we obviously have no idea what we are talking about?

There are ways !

If the 12v light is transformer isolated ?
then its floating, (faulty ground)
so it can be 120v above earth in that respect !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
This is very sad and doesn't make much sense. . I've been shocked by LV in water before too. (Recirc pump in a fountain) Almost hurt worse than 120 for some reason.
 

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
Joined
·
17,042 Posts
Yeah, there's a lot in this article that doesn't seem to add up; reporters who don't understand taking information from people who don't know.

Ground or no ground, a low-voltage lighting system would never read 120V.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,545 Posts
so, does this mean that all of the pool steel bonding failed, pool light transformer failed and the OCP failed?
seems like their will be more to this story.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,762 Posts
Stories like this come of no surprise. Im actually surprised it doesn't happen more often. Scary sad part pools usually have some of the worst code violations by the dozen. Pool guys and the handy hacks that latter drop by have no clue what they are doing.:no::censored: Apartment complexes are the worst but close winners follow them.


People think Im nuts for refusing to swim in most pools, but if you knew what I knew :eek::eek::censored:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,762 Posts
Yeah, there's a lot in this article that doesn't seem to add up; reporters who don't understand taking information from people who don't know.

Ground or no ground, a low-voltage lighting system would never read 120V.
I agree, same for others I read. Part of it is also a cover. Sugar coating what they can. Owners play dumb and so do the people who did the work. The reporters have no clue on the subject to top it off.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top