Electrician Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Licensed Journeyman
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put in a search for "pool" and this came back.

image-557421801.jpg

Oh well.

I have a friend that is building his own pool. I have adamantly refused to help with anything electrical other than to recommend an electrical contractor. He simply refuses to hire an electrician. He is installing a wet niche light. 120vac.

He opened a building permit for the pool. Aka pool permit. I am under the belief that one must pull separate plumbing and electrical permits for this pool. He claims his "hook up" guy referred by a pool company say's this is not necessary. He is insistent that no electrician need pull a permit.

Should I stop being friends with this guy on the grounds he is stupid beyond recovery?

What , if anything , should I say to try to stop his madness?

Walk away and never swim in the guys pool?

I am at a loss to what to do/say to help the guy. I really don't want to see his kid get killed.

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
If he's your buddy I'd just check it out and at least make sure all the required gfp is in place

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I thought you where going to talk about Yahoo Pool!
I've spent to many sad hours there!

There's got to be History!

Why the Vibe's, Why didn't you practice some Calc's and Pitch him

OR

Just do give him your lessons. I totaly understand the relationship thing
but I mean, "Come on Man". A rational man will not withhold information.

The problem is most people think they understand what we do, but it's come to me that most don't understand why we do it, right!

You need to give him a one time pass and preach to him the total package. Here let me use my new found friend Churchill's quotes.
“You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.”

“Don't interrupt me while I'm interrupting.”

“Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions.”

“We are masters of the unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip out..”
Speak or don't speak, but don't go looking for your trunks if your don't
speak up.

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
Type this into Google:

site:electriciantalk.com pool

It's a much better way to search and there is no 4 character limit like the forum database has.

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
copy and paste a couple of the articles about people getting electrocuted in pools and hand it to your buddy. tell him to at least go in the pool before he lets his wife and kids in there.

·
Banned
2 Posts
I was thinking there here i can get some information about pool light but I think this discussion is not for me. Please suggest me some good pool lights and also the way to install them.

·
Super Moderator
22,041 Posts
I was thinking there here i can get some information about pool light but I think this discussion is not for me. Please suggest me some good pool lights and also the way to install them.
Sorry dude this site is for electrical contractors & related fields. Electronics does not compute

Reactions: Wirenuting

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
13,490 Posts
What if he wears a tinfoil had & holds some LED spot lights?

·
Registered
Electrician
4,311 Posts
I put in a search for "pool" and this came back.

View attachment 31500

Oh well.

I have a friend that is building his own pool. I have adamantly refused to help with anything electrical other than to recommend an electrical contractor. He simply refuses to hire an electrician. He is installing a wet niche light. 120vac.

He opened a building permit for the pool. Aka pool permit. I am under the belief that one must pull separate plumbing and electrical permits for this pool. He claims his "hook up" guy referred by a pool company say's this is not necessary. He is insistent that no electrician need pull a permit.

Should I stop being friends with this guy on the grounds he is stupid beyond recovery?

What , if anything , should I say to try to stop his madness?

Walk away and never swim in the guys pool?

I am at a loss to what to do/say to help the guy. I really don't want to see his kid get killed.
You need to tell him about the pool/equipment/surrounding area needing bonding.

Also, there is a whole section in the NEC about "wet niche" lighting.

They have to go to a junction box (above pool level) then to the panel.
They also have to be on a separate GFCI branch circuit. Grounded and bonded, etc.

Too much for a DIY to even attempt!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts