Electrician Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing some escrow corrections on a property, someone replaced one of the pump motors, and there was no lug on the motor, and the short bonding bare copper doesn't reach anyway.

I could cad weld this and put a lug on the motor housing somewhere, but what is the code on this now on the newer pumps. I think the housings are plastic now.

Attachments

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
The only motor I'm aware of that does not require bonding is a double insulated motor.

If that's what you have no bonding connection is necessary.

If it's not I would attempt to see if the motor is listed for use with swimming pools. It should have a place somewhere on the motor to affix a bonding connection.

As far as the bonding wire is concerned you don't have to cadweld. A brass or copper split-bolt would suffice.

Pete

Reactions: dronai

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
Dennis corrected me.

I stated that "no bonding connection was necessary for a double insulated pool pump." That is incorrect.

The last sentence of 680.26(B)(6)(a) requires a connection to the EGC of the motor circuit if there is not already a connection to the premise grounding system.

Pete

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.