Electrician Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I attempted to install GFCI protection on a Hayward pool pump the other day using a Cutler Hammer BR GFCI breaker. The pump is computer controlled and would go through the pre-startup sequence with no problem. However, as soon as the pump itself tried to start, the GFCI breaker would trip with a ground fault. After consulting with Hayward, I discovered that they require that a Siemens GFCI breaker be used to provide ground fault protection, but they could not or would not say why. The pump works fine with a Siemens QF220 GFCI breaker.

Can anyone shed some light on why a Siemens breaker works and a Cutler Hammer breaker does not when both at ID'd to trip with a 5 ma fault?

·
Super Moderator
22,016 Posts
I cannot think of a reason why one would work and not the other. What would you do if you had installed a sq.d panel or a ch cutler hammer panel?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One would likely have to do what I did - install a small Siemens sub panel with a Siemens GFCI breaker.

·
Banned
39,722 Posts
I'm at a loss Czar, can't imagine one manufacturer insisting on some other manufacturer's exclusive OCPD here......:(~CS~

·
Registered
354 Posts
Use a circuit breaker disconnect with a GFCI breaker it's a lot cheaper then an entire panel change / add

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks to me like there is some difference in the operation of the different GFCI breakers such as a delay in the starting of the GFCI operation or something else that the manufacturers of the breakers and Hayward pumps won't admit to.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Siemens W0408L125SPA60
125 amp rated. 4 spaces, includes 60 amp 2 pole gfi brkr
just install the size brkr you need. (return 60/2 brkr to HD for a credit)

it's advertised as a spa disconnect but you can use it for whatever.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
30,851 Posts
I have had a spa manufacture attempt this with me before. After much resistive hoopla, and they insisted a Siemens gfi breaker had to be installed, I had an alternate idea, which was to suggest to them that the customer and myself would be bringing out the chief inspector for the jurisdiction to make an inspection call. They re-sent the mechanic immediately who this time changed out the crappy faulting heating element and no further problems, using the square-d breaker originally installed. All fine afterwards, and their spa equipment is still allowed to be sold in these here parts. win, win.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts