Electrician Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I'm still working on the Brewery and Bar that I talked about in other threads. The original design called out for 3 receptacle circuits in the bar area and one lighting circuit. I went with 9 receptacle circuits and 2 lighting circuits because I knew that the owner loved to add stuff in down stream. The plans did not include cameras, TV's, soffit lighting, dedicated circuits, WAPs, or any other low voltage installations such as DMX, strip lighting and remote monitor for surveillance cams. I was rushed to get everything installed and then tasked with extras after the fact. Now I get requests for new stuff to be added every other week or so. Here is a photo of what happened. It really bugs me to have to scab in a bunch of conduit on the back side of the Bar to feed all this extra stuff. Had I known ahead of time I would have just ran 2 gutters. One for low voltage and the other for power and lighting. The wall that separates the brewery from the bar was packed with plumbing and vent stacks so there was not much room for conduit runs anyways. What a mess. I should have posted this in "gems of the trade."

·
Registered
Power distribution and controls
357 Posts
I did an eye clinic in Sun City were we had the scheduled changes at 10-2-4 (just like Dr. Pepper) every day. Then there were the unscheduled changes a starting at 9,11 and 3 most every day.
The owners wife was wandering about trying to match the birds eye solid core doors to each other. She never did get the right and and left hand swing idea down. I kept 3 journeymen cabinet makers busy just changing out the doors. Every day I went to the general with a list of the changes and what they cost. He paid every bill presented. My boss caught me and the crew (10guys) one Friday morning at the all you could eat breakfast buffet just down the road. He pulled me aside and started in about it. I asked him if he was making money, yes, was the job progressing satisfactorily, yes, good then you can pay for breakfast. How else am I going to keep a group of tradesmen happy when everything they do gets changed?
Foolin' had just come out on the radio.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I think you're being a little hard on yourself. If the customer wants changes after you've run all your conduit and wire... keep making money off them.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice work actually. If it pays the bills, then it’s the gift that keeps on giving.
It's the only work I have so if the boss or his Son wants to add stuff I get blind sided and just go for it. Mostly low voltage runs above the walk in box. Easy to get to and all the ceilings in the bar are hard paned. Actually my boss is cool as even mid stream he will just let me do it in my spare time. No set hours but I would support him in an emergency situation. If he called. :)

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did an eye clinic in Sun City were we had the scheduled changes at 10-2-4 (just like Dr. Pepper) every day. Then there were the unscheduled changes a starting at 9,11 and 3 most every day.
The owners wife was wandering about trying to match the birds eye solid core doors to each other. She never did get the right and and left hand swing idea down. I kept 3 journeymen cabinet makers busy just changing out the doors. Every day I went to the general with a list of the changes and what they cost. He paid every bill presented. My boss caught me and the crew (10guys) one Friday morning at the all you could eat breakfast buffet just down the road. He pulled me aside and started in about it. I asked him if he was making money, yes, was the job progressing satisfactorily, yes, good then you can pay for breakfast. How else am I going to keep a group of tradesmen happy when everything they do gets changed?
Foolin' had just come out on the radio.
It is nice to have good people to work for. As long as they pay for breakfast at least half the time.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think you're being a little hard on yourself. If the customer wants changes after you've run all your conduit and wire... keep making money off them.
I will get some hours in the future and still need to make up labels for each J-Box. If you know where your going ahead of time It's easier to make things come out neater.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know the feeling about customers not knowing what they want until afterwards. When I design residential lighting, I ask what the layout will be and get "I don't know yet".
I guess it's common for people with extra cash can always find something to spend it on. New stuff comes out and they have to get it. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sometimes I also face the same problem while designing residential lighting. When I ask what the layout will be, and get the same replies.
I know the feeling about customers not knowing what they want until afterward. When I design residential lighting, I ask what the layout will be and get "I don't know yet".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts