Electrician Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, don't have pics. I am mostly wondering if it is legal and I'm missing an exemption somewhere or are misidentifying the cable.

Someone that I know has built a new shop on their homes property. The shop will be used for farming. They used portable (flexible) cord and had it wired through LFNC that goes between an enclosed walkway to pvc that goes along a wall back to the panel. The cord is 8 gauge 4 conductor stranded. and comes right out of the conduit and is then wired into a j-box that is part of a car lift motor.

now, my understanding is that you can't ever run portable cord through conduit. It would MAYBE pass because of 400.7a5, but I don't think its meant that way. An actual electrician installed this, but I'm just not sure. I don't know if its been inspected yet though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
there isn't any lettering on it, so it would be tough to say for myself (total noob) but looking at pictures, its likely SO cord.

·
Professional Nit Picker
2,341 Posts
I am going to say that is an illegal install. In my opinion it does not fall under 400.7(A)(5) as the flexible cord is used as a branch circuit to feed the Lift, not the wiring on the lift.

I would turn it down as 400.7(B)(1)
Can not use flexible cord as a substitute for fixed wiring of a structure.

·
Homer to Jebus
Electron Flow Consultant
837 Posts
Illegal install. SO cord is not for running in a conduit.

IBTL. :whistling2:

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,069 Posts
Look at 400.8(6) Uses Not permitted---Where installed in raceways unless otherwise permitted in the code.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts