Electrician Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think that running my 240v single phase 1hp well pump on my 4000w portable generator will cause damage?? I'm thinking it might shorten the life a little but not sure, what do you guys think?

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
There's not many wells around where I live, but I did installing a generator connection down at my parent's house where they have a well. I'm not sure of the pump size but I know the well is about 250' deep.

At first, before my father bought a larger generator, he used his Husky (Subaru engine) 3,500watt generator. It powered everything he wanted to run in the house plus the 2 fridges and the well pump, all at the same time.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Do you think that running my 240v single phase 1hp well pump on my 4000w portable generator will cause damage?? I'm thinking it might shorten the life a little but not sure, what do you guys think?
A 1 hp pump will be around 2400W running but starting will be more. Most portables will have the start watts and run watts marked on them if you have 4000W start you should be OK.

·
ET rocks
2,875 Posts
+1 What Hax & Rewire said. Hook it up and run it. It's fine.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Having a good pressure tank for your well is most important. The less it cycles on and off, the better off the motor will be to last longer.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
If the generators takes more than a couple seconds to level out in start up . Pump is suffering from low voltage and will shorten the life. If not your good to go!

·
DGFVT
2,529 Posts
I run mine all the time, 1 HP 492 ft deep on a 5000 kw. Just don't run a microwave on the generator. I have a 1200 w microwave and it will trip the breaker everytime.:no:

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
8,887 Posts
One possible issue here is that submersible pump motors have water lubricated bearings. Generally speaking, if the motor is not up to 1/2 speed within 3 seconds, the bearings will suffer.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
micromind said:
One possible issue here is that submersible pump motors have water lubricated bearings. Generally speaking, if the motor is not up to 1/2 speed within 3 seconds, the bearings will suffer.
What kind of motor is that micro?
I have installed quite a few up to 5hp and they have always been sealed motors

1 - 9 of 9 Posts