Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a buddy call me today wanting info on a generator install he has been asked to do. He is not an electrician but I assure you he will install it. There is no AHJ (rural).

The generator is a 6500 watt portable generac. It will be outside and a cord will be run through the garage door to a receptacle. The power will be carried about 100' through the attic via #2 aluminum SER to a 6 space portable gennie transfer switch (reliance 30216 brk) next to the panel in the basement.

What are the potential code violations in the install. This is a serious question, I like it when he asks me about his installs because they are good learning experiences.

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
Well, first, to do this correctly and safely, you'll need a 4-wire from the generator panel. This'll go to an inlet device box (preferably NEMA3R) and a twist lock flexible cord. That's just for starters.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, first, to do this correctly and safely, you'll need a 4-wire from the generator panel. This'll go to an inlet device box (preferably NEMA3R) and a twist lock flexible cord. That's just for starters.
The gennie and the transfer switch have 4 wire outlets/inlets, hence the SER.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
he's never gonna get that #2 into a PB30
set a box and pigtail #10

Id just run 10/ RX

also that Generac will be neutral bonded
Wont the ocpd on the gennie be larger than the allowable ampacity of #10?

What is the importance of the bonded neutral?

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
a 6500watt gennie will have a 30 amp breaker max
..you want to have him waste a few hours? google "portable generator bonded neutral"
So the ampacity of a gennie is based on line to line voltage not the line to neutral voltage?

·
Registered
988 Posts
butcher733 said:
So the ampacity of a gennie is based on line to line voltage not the line to neutral voltage?
Correct. 6500w divided by 240 gives you your amps. In this case 27, so 30 amp feed. I would t waste any more money on anything other than 10/3 romex for this job.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are there any problems with basically having a 10-3 extension cord run through the attic?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
butcher733 said:
Are there any problems with basically having a 10-3 extension cord run through the attic?
It would be 10/4 and expensive , despite code issues.
As everyone is saying 10/3 nm or 8/3 if you want to cover your arse for distance.

·
Registered
365 Posts
he's never gonna get that #2 into a PB30
set a box and pigtail #10

Id just run 10/ RX

also that Generac will be neutral bonded
Wont the ocpd on the gennie be larger than the allowable ampacity of #10?

What is the importance of the bonded neutral?
And if you really want to confuse things......... UL states that a portable unit that is under 15Kw and connected to a premise wiring system shall be installed as a separately derived system. Which means you are switching the neutral in the transfer switch.

·
Can't Remember
10,442 Posts
Here, currently, a PR30 (disconnect type), and an X-panel (switched neutral). 6/3 SER AL might not be a bad choice.

·
HTTR
530 Posts
And if you really want to confuse things......... UL states that a portable unit that is under 15Kw and connected to a premise wiring system shall be installed as a separately derived system. Which means you are switching the neutral in the transfer switch.
hahahah aint nobody got time for that

no neutral about to get switched in a reliance panel

·
Registered
448 Posts
I agree with Magnettica, put an inlet(PR30/PB30) outside and use a twist lock cord with molded ends. Forget about running the cord through or under the garage door. Like everyone else says, you need 4 wires( H-H-N-G). He could also run PVC and pull THHN if he feels comfortable doing it.

On a side note, is everyone removing the neutral bond on their portable installs? What if the customer uses it as a portable and not connected to premise?

·
Can't Remember
10,442 Posts
As Ceb has mentioned before, it opens a can of worms. Most people are choosing to do nothing I'm guessing. Go with the X panel, it solves a bunch of issues. Downsides are cost and extra labor. Not as versatile as an interlock.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts