Electrician Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I started off with an Associates degree in Computing Electronics Network Technology, learning a mixture of networking, electronics, electrical, and computers. After graduating, I pretty much worked as a cable dog, running CAT 5 mostly. I later got a job changing ballast for Lighting projects, while still doing CAT 5, and helping to install and configure Variable Frequency Drives.

I ended up going back to school and getting a BS in Computer Science and started programming, doing server administration, and then working on SONET, ATM, and backbones for huge ISPs. I have practically all the main certifications, CCNP, MCITP, JNCIP, etc. I later branched out into Satellite Communications, RF, X band, etc.

I'm at the tail end of a Master's degree in Telecommunications Management and after working on a recent project, I realize that my hands on skills are very lacking. Although I helped wire buildings for lighting, I really didn't know what I was doing. I was just going through the motions and doing what is told. I'm finding myself wanting to go back and study Electrical Engineering, but I wanted to see if I can learn the practical stuff first. By the way, I already have all the Math, Physics, etc for Electrical Engineering done.

I went online and I saw a few options. One of them is Ashford College's Electrician course. It's online and that's very important for me, since I live abroad, unable to go to any of host nation schools, and my ability to speak their language is just so/so. My question is whether or not anyone has any experience with this school. If so, was it worth it? I've been looking at the regulations for Electricians in my Home of Record and there's an education requirement, which I believe this school fits.

On the other hand, there are a lot of self study packages, like Mike Holt's, that I believe would cover far more material. My issue would be if I wanted to change careers and attempt to become and Electrician, would my earlier education be enough to fit that requirement? My AS required me to take a Basic Electricity class and two Digital Electronics classes. There were also classes in Fiber Optics and a bunch of Telecommunications related classes.

I'm happy in my career, but I'd really like to learn about Electricity and I respond better to structured learning. While doing Lighting, I felt like I was doing stuff and not really understanding what was going on. Sure we were able to slam huge buildings in a day, retrofit and installation, but no one really went over anything.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did look into UND, but my issue is that I graduated from college so long ago that my Math and Science classes have expired. I did find a Master's program in Electrical Engineering that I could possibly get into, but I doubt I can get a PE license without an ABET accredited undergrad. I don't even know if I have what it takes to be an Engineer.

Do you know if a State licensing board will look at my degrees and count them towards education or do they generally look for a traditional trade school to count towards becoming an electrician. I mean, there seems to be a lot of great DVD packages that cover a wealth of information. I would hate to sign up for Ashworth College and find out I need to learn everything by reading books and doing assignments. I just prefer either actual classes or something visual that I can watch and learn from. By the way, I don't mind assignments. I'm just more of a visual learner. It's better if I see something, apply it, and learn from experience.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts