Electrician Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,
I have been considering a permanent move to the portland, or area. A portion of my family lives out there and my fiance and myself have been thinking about moving out there as well. we will be visiting portland this week! i am 25 and have been in the trade for 7 years now...2 as a JW. i own a home here in indiana and have a life here so this is a pretty serious consideration. i am looking for honest opinions about long term work outlook, union solidarity, if a good electrician with a broad knowledge of the industry can stay working all the time, and just what type of work is mostly out there? i live right on lake michigan which is surrounded by steel mills, assosciated plants, oil refineries, generating stations, and along with many large and small commercial jobs. i have worked them all and feel comfortable doing almost any sort of job... i greatly appreciate any sort of feedback i receive!!! have a great day brothers and sisters!

·
IBEW MEMBER
383 Posts
I could be in your shoes in about 3 years. good luck and keep me posted please. my woman loves portland and its our goal to get there when I am done with school and she has her nursing experience. hopefully it all works out for you guys.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
You can run, butcha can't hide from this economy Garvey

oh, you might find safe haven for yourself & your woman for a while

but your chances are better on your home turf in this sh*tstorm

good luck any way it goes for you

~CS~

·
Registered
206 Posts
Check out Local 48's website. Ibew48.com. Currently the work picture is great with unfilled calls. Most work is at the Intel campus but we are seeing other jobs come available. You can ask the Local about working as a traveller, getting you Oregon license, etc.

·
13,020 Posts
Things are picking up in Oregon and the Northwest in general it seems, and it's becoming a popular destination. Intel is keeping LU 48 busy, we're crossing our fingers for a big LNG export project here in 932 next year but no one wants to go work in Coos Bay :laughing:

·
Electron Flow Consultant
3,309 Posts
Things are picking up in Oregon and the Northwest in general it seems, and it's becoming a popular destination. Intel is keeping LU 48 busy, we're crossing our fingers for a big LNG export project here in 932 next year but no one wants to go work in Coos Bay :laughing:
Also the possibility for 2 methanol facilities. One in Clatskanie, Or and the other in Kalama, WA. Supposedly wanting to start construction in 2015 and go online in 2018.

·
13,020 Posts
Also the possibility for 2 methanol facilities. One in Clatskanie, Or and the other in Kalama, WA. Supposedly wanting to start construction in 2015 and go online in 2018.
How big are those projects supposed to be?

We've already got plenty of ethanol facilities :thumbup:

·
Electron Flow Consultant
3,309 Posts
How big are those projects supposed to be?

We've already got plenty of ethanol facilities :thumbup:

These are methanol. Supposedly, billions. The company I work for actually owned the ethanol plant in Clatskanie. They didn't pay us and went bankrupt. We bought it at auction, repurposed it, and sold it for $95 mil. We just bought Hoku, a solar silicon plant in Idaho, because they stuffed us too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts