Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a post I had seen at MH site and I felt it should be posted here just in case someone here knows of a code that may require what is being asked about cutin boxes. I know of none concerning the ears.

Below is the post and here is the link http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=158262

posted by billybobjojo
Cut in/old work boxes in hospital rooms

I was recently told that when using cut in boxes in hospital rooms that you have to leave the ears on your devices like receptacles when they are installed to help with more metal to metal contact even with self grounding receptacles. It has been the practice when installing cut in boxes to clip the ears off so one can ensure the receptacles are set back far enough to make the face plate flush with the wall. I was informed that instead one is use a slightly raised or beveled cover for this application. Is this a true?

·
crispy critter
1,846 Posts
Not totally related, but we do a lot of work in a hospital near here and we've had a lot of jobs lately replacing cut in boxes that were installed using battleships. It seems that over time the additional gripping force hospital grade receptacles are required to have is more than the battleships can handle. I'm sure it has nothing to do with janitors ripping vaccum cords out of the wall from 50' away...

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Here's some information....

http://www.ul.com/global/documents/offerings/perspectives/regulators/technical/Ul_outletboxes.pdf

I don't know if this applies to old work boxes....

All UL Listed single- and double-gang metallic outlet and switch
boxes with metallic or nonmetallic cover plates may be installed
in bearing and nonbearing wood stud and steel stud walls
with fire rating not exceeding 2 hours. These metallic boxes
are not required to be marked specifically as suitable for use in
fire-resistant rated assemblies.

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts
It seems that that would depend on building codes and listing requirements. From the link I posted, it seems that the quote would allow old work boxes. So, it would depend on building codes.
If the building code requires a fire rated wall it will be constructed per the UL orange book.

http://www.ul.com/global/eng/pages/offerings/industries/buildingmaterials/fire/resistance/resistive/

It is that standard that requires the box to be secured to a stud.

The fire rating of the box is worthless if the box falls out of place.

Yes, I know this is violated often.

·
Registered
127 Posts
So here's a moral question:

If a customer requests it to be done with cut-in boxes, and you respond it's a violation, but they insist, do you decline doing the work and lose the job to someone who will do it, and lose out on future work with that customer???

And do you report them to the city building dept.??

What if the inspector doesn't enforce it?? Can you report him?? (i.e. project was inspected and passed while having said violations that were not caught, or "looked the other way"???

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.