Electrician Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes I think a little perspective is in order:

This is the cross-section of a 132kV underwater transmission cable that will hook a 400 megawatt wind farm to the Switzerland electric grid:

ABB says it will cost about $200 per foot to install.

By comparison, here is a six foot long HDMI cable you can buy to hook your TV to your computer:

The Amazon seller is asking [ame="http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Diamond-2m-Braided-Cable/dp/B003CT2A2M"]$230 per foot[/ame] for that. And you still have to install it yourself. :laughing:

·
Registered
11,105 Posts
Sometimes I think a little perspective is in order:

This is the cross-section of a 132kV underwater transmission cable that will hook a 400 megawatt wind farm to the Switzerland electric grid:

ABB says it will cost about $200 per foot to install.
Be nice to see that next to something for some scale...

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is the cable being played off a barge:

Also, the reviews of that HDMI jumper are great:
I'd been searching high and low for a 6.56 feet HDMI cable. There are times when 6.5 feet is too short and 6.6 feet is just WAY too long. The AudioQuest cable seemed to be an absolute steal for a cable that met my exact needs. I'm not at all pleased with the quality, though. I tried to tow my mother's Pontiac Aztec out of a ditch with this cable, and it snapped immediately. I'm sorry, but I really expected greater tensile strength.

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You said install, not buy:whistling2:
I based that number on the total job quote, so it's purchase and installation. :001_tongue:
This wire is even better....
That's just awesome. Where's the link to that cryogenically treated hospital-grade receptacle?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.