Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Im looking to connect power for 3 mixers all in one location. The first is 50 Hp the second is 5 and the third is 1/2 HP. All 3phase 600V.

The building has a 100Amp service and a splitter I can tap off of. I have to run power 150 feet away from the splitter. Would it be better to run a tap from the splitter to another splitter which feeds the 3 motors, or run a tap from the splitter to a 600V panel that feeds the motors?

·
13,020 Posts
if moneys not an issue id put a panel in close to the motors.
Agreed. It's a lot easier to run a single feeder to a remote location than multiple motor circuits, control circuits, etc.

I'd run a feeder over there to a panel or MCC and try to minimize the length of your motor branch circuits and controls and stuff.

The building only has a 100 amp service? I don't know how different Canada's motor calculations are but even at 600 volts, a 50 hp motor by itself running continuously would suck up a pretty good chunk of ampacity.

·
13,020 Posts
thx,
would the breakers be counted as service disconnects or would I have to add 3 disconnects as well?
Again, not familiar with Canadian code requirements, but in the U.S. service disconnects generally need to be grouped together. If you supplied the motor feeder from a breaker located at the service, that could be counted as a service disconnect and the motor breakers downstream would just be motor breakers.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Agreed. It's a lot easier to run a single feeder to a remote location than multiple motor circuits, control circuits, etc.

I'd run a feeder over there to a panel or MCC and try to minimize the length of your motor branch circuits and controls and stuff.

The building only has a 100 amp service? I don't know how different Canada's motor calculations are but even at 600 volts, a 50 hp motor by itself running continuously would suck up a pretty good chunk of ampacity.
well the idea was to run 1 3phase 600V feed from the building splitter to a new splitter 150 feet away than feed 3 disconnects in that one area so I wouldn't be running multiple motor circuits.

I notified the owner of overloading his available capacity and blowing his fuses and he said he wont run everything at the same time.

·
13,020 Posts
well the idea was to run 1 3phase 600V feed from the building splitter to a new splitter 150 feet away than feed 3 disconnects in that one area so I wouldn't be running multiple motor circuits.

I notified the owner of overloading his available capacity and blowing his fuses and he said he wont run everything at the same time.
Well if you tapped directly from your service and installed 3 new disconnects 150 feet away, that would be a code violation around here because those 3 new disconnects would technically be service disconnects not grouped at the service. Furthermore you may or may not have some rules regarding length of tapped conductors (if at a lower ampacity than the supplying OCPD).

I would make the tap at your service and a feed a disconnect right there. Then run the 150' feeder from the disconnect to your motor location.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well if you tapped directly from your service and installed 3 new disconnects 150 feet away, that would be a code violation around here because those 3 new disconnects would technically be service disconnects not grouped at the service. Furthermore you may or may not have some rules regarding length of tapped conductors (if at a lower ampacity than the supplying OCPD).

I would make the tap at your service and a feed a disconnect right there. Then run the 150' feeder from the disconnect to your motor location.
So in a nutshell...

Main building splitter--> disconnect -----------150 feet------ >second splitter--> 3 disconnects.

or

Main building splitter--> disconnect-------------150 feet------->600v panel--> and 3 disconnects.

In regards to the tapped conductors I believe they can only be 7 feet or something away from the splitter before it effects the wire size, but the disconnect would be located near the splitter like you mentioned.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Are you mixing anything that would make it a hazardous area? Aside from that, I would pick solution A. Disconnects are lockable and fusible. Breakers don't lock very well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you mixing anything that would make it a hazardous area? Aside from that, I would pick solution A. Disconnects are lockable and fusible. Breakers don't lock very well.
Thats actually one of my other concerns, I asked the client what he's mixing and if it's explosive or flammable and he told me its just corrosive. It's basically some kind of floor finishing product that he makes, so I imagine it should be flammable.

Anyways, I'm going by tomorrow to get more information on the project.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Thats actually one of my other concerns, I asked the client what he's mixing and if it's explosive or flammable and he told me its just corrosive. It's basically some kind of floor finishing product that he makes, so I imagine it should be flammable.

Anyways, I'm going by tomorrow to get more information on the project.

Thanks
its probably not his call to determine if the location is hazardous or not. its up to AHJ or insurance company i think

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
as is ours. im just saying i wouldn't let a business owner tell me anything about what is or isn't a hazardous location

·
Licensed Journeyman
5,880 Posts
I highly suspect the building is gonna get a new service. Along with the motor feeders. As to the owner determining hazardous locations. No way no how unless it's someone like Exxon or Dow or the like.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok so I visited the site.... there's two units joined together with two services so were ok with capacity...I asked him to show me the products hes mixing and an explanation on the hazards involved and basically from the information I've gathered so far the product is corrosive to the touch. Nothing is flammable or explosive..however I'm still not sure about the proper way to go about this because like the previous posts above mentioned its not up the owner to determine this.

The cec is very clear on hazardous locations that's not my issue....I need proper trustworthy information to determine what class what zone and what category it falls under for corrosive liquuds etc.

The only thing I can think of now is to consult with the inspector.

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts