Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently mounted a 55" tv in a conference room, and need a clever way to get a vga or hdmi cord to a laptop for demonstrations. The conference table consists of four smaller tables pushed together. I originally thought a power pole would be fine, but it will look like crap and I dont want to cut a hole in one of the tables. I also thought maybe run the cables into a nearby closet, put the laptop in there, and have a wireless mouse and keyboard on the conference table. I would really like whoever is presenting to be able to plop their laptop down and just plug in. Oh and the floor is concrete. Let the clever thinking begin.... Maybe a retractable cord of some kind? Need 120v as well

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
I recently mounted a 55" tv in a conference room, and need a clever way to get a vga or hdmi cord to a laptop for demonstrations. The conference table consists of four smaller tables pushed together. I originally thought a power pole would be fine, but it will look like crap and I dont want to cut a hole in one of the tables. I also thought maybe run the cables into a nearby closet, put the laptop in there, and have a wireless mouse and keyboard on the conference table. I would really like whoever is presenting to be able to plop their laptop down and just plug in. Oh and the floor is concrete. Let the clever thinking begin.... Maybe a retractable cord of some kind? Need 120v as well

View attachment 34367

Do you need to cut a hole in the floor?

·
Registered
8 Posts

Been there done that, jackhammer, PVC conduit, heat gun and floor cans. The end result was very nice. I'll try to take some pics next time at that office. They make VGA/HDMI dual port jacks that fit into the floor cans. We ran 120v and VGA with 3.5 mm audio cable in this conference room. It ran into a closet and up into the ceiling.

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
Can we get those pics a little larger? I'm outputting to my 55 inch HD TV so shouldn't be a problem. Thanks.

You just have to re-size them before uploading... say 800 pixels wide. Something like that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
daveEM said:
Can we get those pics a little larger? I'm outputting to my 55 inch HD TV so shouldn't be a problem. Thanks. You just have to re-size them before uploading... say 800 pixels wide. Something like that.
I don't think I have the ability to do that. I'm on my phone. Those pictures were taken with an iPhone 4 about 3 years ago.

·
Registered
8 Posts
CanadianSparky said:
Those burn marks on the conduit would never fly here....but then again I doubt the inspector has seen this before the concrete.
No inspectors where we are. We are maintenance most of the year with projects here and there. We only use inspectors when we have big $ jobs. Non union aswell.

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
First.....Lose those BIG ASS pictures :censored:

Second, find a wireless solution. This is 2014:thumbup:

Well for me it would still fall under my pride of work. I'd throw away 100 lengths of PVC before I settled with that.
That's called OCD or anal retentive which is wasteful. If someone splattered paint on the conduit would you throw it away?

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
220/221 said:
First.....Lose those BIG ASS pictures :censored: Second, find a wireless solution. This is 2014:thumbup: That's called OCD or anal retentive which is wasteful. If someone splattered paint on the conduit would you throw it away?
Any electrician worth his salt would. Burn marks, paint splatter, sharpie marks, pencil marks, PVC cement splashes are all signs of hackadashery.

:whistling:

·
Registered
8 Posts
220/221 said:
I will come back and argue with you when Foolio resizes or remove those pics :laughing:
I'm using my phone and I'm new to this App. Guess you could have explained how to resize on an iPhone. The pics look fine to me. Stay classy brother.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Going_Commando said:
Any electrician worth his salt would. Burn marks, paint splatter, sharpie marks, pencil marks, PVC cement splashes are all signs of hackadashery. :whistling:
You sound like a guy with too much time on his hands.

I said we used a heat gun, rather than a PVC heater box so it's pretty difficult to lay this pipe in these narrow cuts without heating it to its max!

Last I checked, I couldn't see the brown spots under the concrete and carpet. Total non issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
220/221 said:
First.....Lose those BIG ASS pictures :censored: Second, find a wireless solution. This is 2014:thumbup: That's called OCD or anal retentive which is wasteful. If someone splattered paint on the conduit would you throw it away?
Security issues with wireless so they shy away from it in most cases, they still would have to have 120v.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ISC Pipeline Trash said:
Been there done that, jackhammer, PVC conduit, heat gun and floor cans. The end result was very nice. I'll try to take some pics next time at that office. They make VGA/HDMI dual port jacks that fit into the floor cans. We ran 120v and VGA with 3.5 mm audio cable in this conference room. It ran into a closet and up into the ceiling.
Job looks good to me thanks. Picture size was fine as well

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wiremold makes an over floor raceway that I use for that exact situation. Expensive but very low profile. You can either come out of the end of the raceway or install their floor box.

·
Registered
14,538 Posts
Oh no burn marks on the conduit!!! What will the tard of a concrete guy think when he comes in to dump crete all over everything. :lol: :lol:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts