Electrician Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have been scheduled to commence my first power shut down this upcoming week at a multi-residential property. I have witnessed a few shut downs before and seen the electricians "power shed" by shutting off all the loads individually before disconnecting the main breaker. However, I was wondering if there was a specific order to this? For example, if there are various loads such as elevators, generators, parking garages, sprinklers, rooms, etc... does it matter in which order you shut it off? To elaborate, is there a thumb of rule suggesting to shut off generators first then elevators for example? or can I just go in and start pulling the switches in any order I desire.

Thank you,
24V

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Doesn't matter what order, just put a warning sign on the elevator about the shut down. Mainly, lock out the gens., fire pump, and any large loads first, then individual panels.

·
Super Moderator
Elechicken!
3,762 Posts
Doesn't matter what order, just put a warning sign on the elevator about the shut down. Mainly, lock out the gens., fire pump, and any large loads first, then individual panels.
We usually get the elevators put into service mode to keep the doors open, then shut the elevators off (using the appropriate key switch in the car)so they won't move. This ensures no one will get trapped because the doors won't close.

Sent from my new phone. Autocorrect may have changed stuff.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
We usually get the elevators put into service mode to keep the doors open, then shut the elevators off (using the appropriate key switch in the car)so they won't move. This ensures no one will get trapped because the doors won't close.

That's even better if you can get an elevator, or bldg management guy coordinated for the shut-down. Caution tape across the ground floor door helps too.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
If this is a shut down for multi-family residential units you probably won’t have any critical loads to worry about but always check with management to see if there is anything that must stay on during the shutdown. Talk to the person in charge like the manager or building owner. You mentioned that there is a generator. Find out what that feeds as it might be for something critical such as a fire system that needs to stay on. Make sure you have temporary lighting set up ahead of time in the areas you are working. Shed all the small loads and work your way up to the mains then repeat the process when you bring the buildings back on line. Don’t forget to lock out the mains so you are safe and coordinated with all activities with anyone else you are working with.

·
Super Moderator
Elechicken!
3,762 Posts
That's even better if you can get an elevator, or bldg management guy coordinated for the shut-down. Caution tape across the ground floor door helps too.
Usually we have the superintendent and they have they keys we need.

Reactions: 24V

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
2,967 Posts
No matter what type of shutdown, try to warn everyone right before power goes out. I have seen so many people come out and go
" What did you do I just lost all my work on the computer"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts