Electrician Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I am a first year apprentice, and I was recently laid off. I have been doing some research, first in terms of resume writing , and I stumbled onto other types of electricians.
Does anyone have any experience with a power system electrician as opposed to an electrician?

Thanks for the replies!!

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Yes, it's a whole industry within an industry. Been doing it for 20 years. Magna is the big guys in your area for that type of work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I take it, that you enjoy what you do then? Can you give me any insight as to what you job entails?

I know that basics of what an electrician does, I just don't know how that compares to a power system electrician.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Generally testing and maintaining large switchgear, transformers, relays, etc... No wire pulling or pipe bending :thumbup:

Reactions: Albertasparky

·
PPE Saves Fingers
291 Posts
Generally testing and maintaining large switchgear, transformers, relays, etc... No wire pulling or pipe bending :thumbup:
I will say that there's always the possibility for wire pulling and pipe bending.

A few guys at work spent a couple weeks doing just that on a 230kv to 500 kv transformer bank due to some upgrades for protection.

Where I work our equivalent is called power electrician,less focus on the relay and protection side of things (we've got another department for that) and more with the transformers and breakers.

That said, in our case, if it's electrical, we get to deal with it... from light bulb change outs to ground faults on out DC system, it's all us.

(The mechanics get the short end of the stick... they get stuck with the plumbing)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts