Electrician Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
DIY Electric & Contracting
Discussion Starter #1
Rewiring an old home where basement lines will feed the first floor (multiple 15/20 Amp w/ 12/2 & 12/3 romex & a single 50 Amp 6/3 romex supplying range. If I run cables over a wall to feed the first floor, how often would do they need to be fastened/stapled, are there exceptions (such as when there isn't sufficient room), are there limitations to the number of cables that can run in close proximity with one another?

Details:

The basement has a concrete wall running parallel with joists has room above it to run wires. The last joist sits about 6 inches from the wall, so there is enough room to tuck the wires into the space, but not enough space to staple or fasten in that space. That being said, the wires are less accesible in that space than they would be if I were to staple them all to the last joist.

1) How many cables can be run together, For example, can 10 new 15amp/20amp lines be bunched together ?
2) Can 15/20 amp cables run together with a 50 amp cable (6/3 to range)?
3) Do cables sitting on top of a wall need to be fastened, and if they do, how often do cables sitting on top of a wall in a basement be fastened (every foot, every 5 feet, 10 feet etc? Or can I just secure all of them at the beginning and end of the wall if they lay flat above the wall?)
4) What is the best way to fasten them in a tight space (clamps to wall)?

Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
Are you a Doctor ?

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Rewiring an old home where basement lines will feed the first floor (multiple 15/20 Amp w/ 12/2 & 12/3 romex & a single 50 Amp 6/3 romex supplying range. If I run cables over a wall to feed the first floor, how often would do they need to be fastened/stapled, are there exceptions (such as when there isn't sufficient room), are there limitations to the number of cables that can run in close proximity with one another?

Details:

The basement has a concrete wall running parallel with joists has room above it to run wires. The last joist sits about 6 inches from the wall, so there is enough room to tuck the wires into the space, but not enough space to staple or fasten in that space. That being said, the wires are less accesible in that space than they would be if I were to staple them all to the last joist.

1) How many cables can be run together, For example, can 10 new 15amp/20amp lines be bunched together ?
2) Can 15/20 amp cables run together with a 50 amp cable (6/3 to range)?
3) Do cables sitting on top of a wall need to be fastened, and if they do, how often do cables sitting on top of a wall in a basement be fastened (every foot, every 5 feet, 10 feet etc? Or can I just secure all of them at the beginning and end of the wall if they lay flat above the wall?)
4) What is the best way to fasten them in a tight space (clamps to wall)?

View attachment 154127
Perhpas fashioning a wood "raceway" by securing a strip of 1/4" plywood across the top of the wall would be compliant with "NEC 334.30 (B) Securing and Supporting...Sections of cable protected from physical damage by raceway shall not be required to be secured within the raceway."

Registered
Licensed Electrical Contractor (20 years)
You're going to need a code book . Start with reading Article 300 NEC. You may need to hire some one to help, some one more familiar with that type of install.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
You're going to need a code book . Start with reading Article 300 NEC. You may need to hire some one to help, some one more familiar with that type of install.
I quoted the code above & provided one answer. I have ideas but would like to know if those who have studied & do this every day can answer or have experience with similar situations

Registered
Licensed Electrical Contractor (20 years)
I quoted the code above & provided one answer. I have ideas but would like to know if those who have studied & do this every day can answer or have experience with similar situations
They're are so many different scenarios, The administrators don't want us helping DIY'ers. They do have a sister forum DIY Forum where some of the same guys are on and would be more then willing to help out. That's why you're not getting more responses. But if you're an electrician just not familiar with this type of work. , Then you're fine here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.