Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you guys here pre fab stuff before going out. I usually make up alot of stuff for services before heading to job site. Here's an insteon smart switch with override switch that I fabbed. This didn't take me but 5 minutes but I got do it while watching TV ..thumb up....

Attachments

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts
Any of you guys here pre fab stuff before going out. I usually make up alot of stuff for services before heading to job site. Here's an insteon smart switch with override switch that I fabbed. This didn't take me but 5 minutes but I got do it while watching TV ..thumb up....
Good idea:thumbsup:

What's that switch do?:blink:

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
31,618 Posts
Decora switches in an rs cover looks like doo doo.

Reactions: CADPoint and Lep

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I've installed many whole house Insteon systems. Not a bad product for the most part, but did send quite a few back on Warranty.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
triden said:
I've installed many whole house Insteon systems. Not a bad product for the most part, but did send quite a few back on Warranty.
Yeah this is the first one I've done. Part of the reason why I installed the override switch just in case it stops working

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HARRY304E said:
Good idea:thumbsup:

What's that switch do?:blink:
Its a smartlinc switch for the insteon system. It's dual band so it is backwards compatible with x10 systems or will work wirelessly on the new insteon system. I'm using it to run a control circuit for a bagel oven. The guy wanted full control over the timer to turn the oven on and off and wanted remote capability to turn it off if they open late.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I do. I pre-build all my panels, including tying them in if there aren't a ton of circuits, or the wires will need to be extended. I put a movie on in the garage, turn up the heat and do it the night before. When I show up it's just tying in the mains and splicing the branch circuits in the JB's.

On this one, none of the circuits were grounded so I've got my 7 GFCI's (cheaper than deadfronts or breakers) ready to be connected on the load side.

·
Registered
7,805 Posts
In the olden days, doing new construction resi production work, we would make up spiders........simply a ceiling box with four hots and a switch leg made up.

Nail up the ceiling box, drop the legs into their places and your room was done in 5 minutes with make up in only one box jumpered to/from the next room.

·
Registered
6,171 Posts
SteveO. said:
I do. I pre-build all my panels, including tying them in if there aren't a ton of circuits, or the wires will need to be extended. I put a movie on in the garage, turn up the heat and do it the night before. When I show up it's just tying in the mains and splicing the branch circuits in the JB's. On this one, none of the circuits were grounded so I've got my 7 GFCI's (cheaper than deadfronts or breakers) ready to be connected on the load side. http://s27.photobucket.com/user/steveogs/media/ca04ddc0.jpg.html
Why do a panel gfi when you have 7 gfi's at the panel already?

·
Slave to the grind
624 Posts
I used to work for a company that did a lot of hotels and motels. All the rooms were block walls and the same as far as receps and switches went.

On rainy days, we would be at the shop, bending and cutting conduit and, attaching the masonary boxes. We'd load these contraptions up and take them to the job. Once the blockies hit the level we were in, we'd set our pre-fabbed deals into place and walk away. It was a great time saver, especially when there were 15-20 blockies and only 1 or 2 electricians.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Why do a panel gfi when you have 7 gfi's at the panel already?
So you could plug a fridge, freezer or anything else in and not have it sharing a circuit with the rest of the house? CEC says you need a utility room circuit that doesn't feed anything else but the stuff in that room. Obviously, the 7 plugs are feeding through to other circuits.

·
Gold Member
312 Posts
So you could plug a fridge, freezer or anything else in and not have it sharing a circuit with the rest of the house? CEC says you need a utility room circuit that doesn't feed anything else but the stuff in that room. Obviously, the 7 plugs are feeding through to other circuits.
Obviously this is an upgrade, so you don't have to add that utilty room cct. Making that a totally valid question.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Obviously this is an upgrade, so you don't have to add that utilty room cct. Making that a totally valid question.
You're assuming there wasn't one in there before, or that the customer didn't ask for a place to plug something in. If you install a new panel and don't add a receptacle near it, you're a hack.

I appreciate all the guys with nothing better to do than to criticize what is most certainly code compliant or better.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts