Electrician Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work at a WTP and were coming up on our annual PM list and time of the year. The plant isn't very good at recording anything (we have no Single Line Drawing printed anywhere).

So my task is to make a very functional PM list for MCCs & VFD/AFDs that we have in the plant.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what should be included in your PM checklist for each bucket/drive?

I have a general idea, but would like to hear from others from around the country, as things are done differently everywhere(especially compared to where I work haha).

Just FYI my place is very lacking in PM stuff, more of a reactive type of thing. Meaning fix when it breaks lol.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
I would suggest downloading the ANSI/NETA Maintenance Testing specification

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
The ANSI/NETA MTS Standard for Maintenance Testing Specifications for Electrical Power Equipment and Systems is a document that is used worldwide by individuals seeking to assure that the electrical power equipment and systems in their care operate reliably and safely in conformance with industry and manufacturer standards and tolerances.
Maintenance tests are those tests that allow the determination of whether or not the electrical equipment is suitable for safe and continued service.
When dealing with service-aged equipment, many criteria are used in determining what equipment is to be tested, at what intervals, and to what extent. Ambient conditions, availability of down time, and maintenance budgets are but a few of the considerations that go into the planning of a maintenance schedule. The owner must make many decisions each time maintenance is considered. It is the intent of the ANSI/NETA Standard for Maintenance Testing Specifications for Electrical Power Distribution Equipment and Systems to list a majority of the field tests available for assessing the suitability for continued service and reliability of the power distribution system.
Click HERE to download the preface, foreword, table of contents, scope, and applicable references for the ANSI/NETA MTS

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Zog, looks like the link is to a general ANSI/neta page, doesn't give a lot of detail into specifics.

·
AKA Luketrician
584 Posts
Are these PMs going to be performed off line?

General inspection of the MCC compartment, and MCC itself inspections as found megger of the bus, then cleaning of the bus and interior sections of the MCC, removing each MCC bucket from it's compartment and inspecting and cleaning the bucket stabs. Check each bus bolted connection resistance, and re-torque as needed. Check the twist to trip functions on each molded case. Check terminations for defects and degradation, re-lug and re-terminate accordingly..

Functional tests of the contactors using test power, checking the contacts for pitting, missing or broken parts.

Checking for proper contact development/function during testing on starters on main line and aux contacts

etc etc

·
Registered
185 Posts
Make sure the cooling fans are working, install filters over them if its a dusty environment. Grease the motor bearings. Thermal image under load, if you have one. That will pick up any loose connections. Megger won't help much unless you plan on doing it every year and recording readings. Don't go crazy, sometimes when you have old junk, when you go to retorque, things break, strip whatever.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts