Electrician Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Sparks fly from my finger
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are zinc emt fittings still higher priced than steel or has the gap closed? I have a bunch of zinc couplings at home but no zinc connectors, just a few different style steel ones. I like the zinc as they don't rust and judging by the steel fittings zinc one were made much better. I am also too picky to have zinc couplings with steel connectors.

What got me thinking about this is the junk raco steel emt fittings I was using today. I got a box of them that half the compression nuts were threaded crooked. I also broke an a lone zinc coupling that was in the bottom my parts bin because I am used to having to tighten the steel one down as tight as I can to get them to hold tight. It was kind of a bad day with killark tees that the connectors wouldn't screw into evenly, 4x4 boxes not being square, and crappy raco fittings.

All this is for a side job I was dumb enough to tell the guy I would do. I don't think he would care if the fittings don't match. The guy is a welder where I work and he told me he took an electrical class in college. He wanted me to figure out why the switch to the light in his root cellar shocked him. He said when het got out of the shower and walked over and flipped the light on it about knocked him on his butt. When he showed me the switch I could tell it was going to be bad. Handi box on a concrete wall feed with romex from an octagon box above it in the top. Rome out the bottom right side hole to a hole through the concrete a inch from the side of the box. At first glance I thought he just used chase nipples but then realized that they were romex connectors in backwards. I took the cover off and saw the problem, connector touching the screw on the switch. I could see there wasn't much wire behind the switch but I didn't see the rest till I got the switch barley out of the box. To hook in the switch to the romex he skinned off the side of the romex that the black was on, cut it and hooked it to the switch. The white and ground were still in the jacket. I stared at it in disbelief and shook my head. The guy asked me what I needed to fix it offering up some of the stuff he had laying around. I told him the only way to fix it was rip it all out and start over. So he is getting emt and I am getting the hell out of there. I should be nice and follow the code and put the fuse limited in the panel since he had a 30 amp fuse on this circuit.

The next time someone at work asks if I do side work I am going to say no and get in my gator and drive away as fast as I can.

·
Sparks fly from my finger
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will probably end up doing that. I am just dealing with crappy steel compression fittings at work right now. We had some good ones but the supplier changed suppliers again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.