Electrician Talk banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Good evening guys. Here's another one of these threads. I'm sorry to gum up the forum, but I'm about to do a no-bid job for my accountant, and it's important to me that I don't rip him off while charging a fair price, so I'm just looking for a little validation

Job is as follows: replace
28 duplex receptacles
13 blank covers
5 decora dimmer switches
10 toggle switches
3 GFCIs
Add a receptacle in a wall from a j box in a drop ceiling 20' mc
Add a TV box (power only) from a j box in a drop ceiling, 20' mc

I have one employee, a 1st year apprentice from the hall. His total package is $20/hr. I charge a rate of $200/hr for the 2 of us, $160 if it's just me. I came up with $2,669 for this job. What do you all think?
If you can get away with those prices, go for it. The AHJ in my jurisdiction would require an electrical permit and inspection for the job. If I'm lying, I'm dying! Good luck. You may lose the job after he gets someone else to beat your price!

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you can get away with those prices, go for it. The AHJ in my jurisdiction would require an electrical permit and inspection for the job. If I'm lying, I'm dying! Good luck. You may lose the job after he gets someone else to beat your price!
Oh, and why so many blank covers? Hiding money?

·
Registered
Owner and operator of a signatory shop
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I did lose the job. He said he was going to shop around. When you say "get away with those prices", you mean you think I was asking too much?

·
Hackenschmidt
12,036 Posts
I did lose the job. He said he was going to shop around. When you say "get away with those prices", you mean you think I was asking too much?
Isn't it nice that now you don't have to feel awkward if you want to complain about his bill, or shop around?

By the way make sure you keep your books in such a manner that you can shop around. A lot of small business owners are not really happy with their accountant but don't switch because it would be too much work for another accountant to figure out how you're set up. Try to keep it so you bring a backup of your Quickbooks to another accountant and they can hit the ground running.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Look at it this way:
You didn't lose the job. Your customer wants you to think that you lost the job. You chose not to take the job because you chose wisely not to lower your prices and lose money.
You don't lose money on the jobs that you are smart enough not to take.

I don't believe that anyone here thinks that you were asking too much. Know your numbers and price your jobs at the numbers that you need to grow your business. If a customer, especially an accountant, doesn't understand that the primary goal of owning a business is to earn profit that is a good sign that that customer is not an ideal customer.

·
Registered
Owner and operator of a signatory shop
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Look at it this way:
You didn't lose the job. Your customer wants you to think that you lost the job. You chose not to take the job because you chose wisely not to lower your prices and lose money.
You don't lose money on the jobs that you are smart enough not to take.

I don't believe that anyone here thinks that you were asking too much. Know your numbers and price your jobs at the numbers that you need to grow your business. If a customer, especially an accountant, doesn't understand that the primary goal of owning a business is to earn profit that is a good sign that that customer is not an ideal customer.
Oh believe me, I'm happy I didn't get it. The way he phrased his post had me wondering if he thought I was asking too much. I certainly don't think I was, but I wanted to ask just in case he had some kind of insight

21 - 30 of 30 Posts