Electrician Talk banner

pricing debate- what say you

3K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  electricmanscott 
#1 ·
so i just went to price a 100A service change complete from drop to panel with all bonding to be done.

i priced it at 1,500 cause i could tell the homeowner was cheap and also a military man, so i figured i'd give him a lil deal. normal price is 1850 and up

so he sends me a email that reads "

Hi Doug,

I just read your email - outrageously expensive BTW. I got an estimate from another company, bigger and older than yours - for $550.00 (without a new meter), but figured I'd look around since they were the only ones I got an estimate from. Either way, if you still care to do this, let me know soon.

Thanks,
A****

What say you:thumbup::thumbup::eek::eek::censored::censored::jester::jester:

See less See more
#4 ·
so i just went to price a 100A service change complete from drop to panel with all bonding to be done.

i priced it at 1,500 cause i could tell the homeowner was cheap and also a military man, so i figured i'd give him a lil deal. normal price is 1850 and up

Hi Doug,

I just read your email - outrageously expensive BTW. I got an estimate from another company, bigger and older than yours - for $550.00 (without a new meter), but figured I'd look around since they were the only ones I got an estimate from. Either way, if you still care to do this, let me know soon.

Thanks,
A****

Dear A****,

Wow that bigger and older company was charging $550.00 (without a new meter)? I must not be charging nearly enough here is your revised estimate $ 1850.00. let me know when I can start

Doug

#9 ·
Dear A****,

Wow that bigger and older company was charging $550.00 (without a new meter)? I must not be charging nearly enough here is your revised estimate $ 1850.00. let me know when I can start

Doug
lol i really really really wanted to say its now 1850 like the old man on pawn stars
but i went on anothewr walkthrough with him and broke it down to the customer (which i never do ok well never did before) and showed him because i couldnt fathom how some guy can do the whole service except for meter with all the proper bonding and arc-fault new panel and service drop for 550 well thats cause hes older like from 1950 when a whole service cost that much. but i digress, after explaining everything - wait for it wait for it wait waiting- is that the best price you can do.

me
"yes thank you and i hope you find what your looking for, i think you should get some more estimates and see where the market actually is. oh and have a great day now, bye"

tires peeling out vroooooooooooooooooooom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::censored::censored::eek::jester:

#10 ·
Why the hell would you break it down, that right there was your first mistake.

Figure you profit and OH into you hourly rate

A basic 100 amp service runs me about $450-550 for materials and can easliy be done in 3-4 hours but say 5 for S&G's

550 * markup at 30 % = $715
5 hours @ $150 $750

$1465 Permit fees not included

But most guys do them for $1,000

Reactions: BIGRED
#12 ·

Hi Doug,

Thanks,
A****

You gave him a good price, :censored: him!!

#13 ·
I would tell him that what he got, was a joke from the larger older company. They were going to give him used equipment not new. They had all the stock leftover from bigger jobs.
They knew that no-one else could match it, and thought they would drive him nuts with the price difference. Besides crushing the competition.

#14 ·
I'd have told him off just for the fact that he was a cocky bastard and said BTW you're extremely over priced.

Id have said I'm sorry, I'm sure you appreciate being told you're extremely over paid for your easy job and I'm sure you love it when people waste your time.

Although maybe not him if he's a service man for our country but you get the gist I can't stand people.

#17 ·
Lot of "bigger older companies" do all commercial new work, and about once every 5 years or so some dummy calls up askin for a service upgrade. Rather than get a bum rap at Angie's list they toss you a bone since the cost to the company is a microbe on a fleas leg compared to the twenty five million they did wiring the new courthouse and county hospital last year..... They write it off as a charity contribution......

#28 ·
doubleoh7 said:
One of em, I was the highest by $1,092!!!!!! The HO works out at the place I did a new service for last winter. My logo is on the panel. I don't want to get too big a head, but it seems that having "doubleoh7's" logo on your electric service is becomeing a status symbol around here. There is a home listed for sale here that has "new 200 amp electric service by doubleoh7 electric" listed as a feature!
Well I do sell my services not the price of the job. I only broke it down to the guy so he realized that my job was priced to code and the other company wasnt.

You may also note I was the highest bidder by 1000. Older bigger company will do it for 550. Lol yea right that's why he called back causes w all know

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.