Electrician Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been out of Residential for a little bit. I was asked to price a new construction by the sqft but based on prices of wire I need a little help from someone already doing this.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I can tell you that a 2,400 sq ft home just went up $0.60 / sq ft because of the Romex cost increase.
And that's with all gas appliances.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Is this rough in only?
No service?
$3.00 per foot is way less than what I was charging 20 years ago.
Square foot estimates will get you in trouble unless you bid really high.
You have no idea how many outlets you are going to install.
I always bid per outlet.
Outlet meaning any receptacle box, switch box, ceiling box, cable TV box, data cable box or phone box.
Service installation is separate.
Trim out is seperate.
If they want to stick to the square foot estimate, find out what the house is worth and take 20 to 25% of that as an estimate.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Electrical is not a square-foot trade. It's a comfort-figure for the GC, and he'll want to hold you to it if you're low.

find out what the house is worth and take 20 to 25% of that as an estimate.
^ there we go. Now we're pricing like lawyers, brokers, and realtors. (y)

·
Registered
295 Posts
The only way I've ever done square footage pricing is for one builder. I've been doing his work since 1993. I based the pricing one a full year of houses, about 30 homes. It only includes his base package, no extras. Extras are billed directly to the home owner.
Every other job, I price out per outlet (receptacle, switch, light) then add; recessed fixtures, 240 volt circuits, bath fans, paddle fan installation, sub panels, phone, cable, ethernet, dimmers, etc.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Is this rough in only?
No service?
$3.00 per foot is way less than what I was charging 20 years ago.
Square foot estimates will get you in trouble unless you bid really high.
You have no idea how many outlets you are going to install.
I always bid per outlet.
Outlet meaning any receptacle box, switch box, ceiling box, cable TV box, data cable box or phone box.
Service installation is separate.
Trim out is seperate.
If they want to stick to the square foot estimate, find out what the house is worth and take 20 to 25% of that as an estimate.
....sarcasm.......lol

·
Registered
405 Posts
Now we're pricing like lawyers, brokers, and realtors. (y)
I generally use flat rate pricing, but some jobs require T&M pricing. I model my T&M pricing on how lawyers charge clients. Lawyers give you an hourly rate (say $420 per hour) and then charge you for every minute of their time you use ($7 per minute). Additionally, they charge you for their costs (travel, filings, forms, etc.) and I don't know if they markup those costs, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do. Bottom line: lawyers don't give away anything.

So if you have a lawyer working on a case for you and you call that lawyer on the phone to ask some questions, the meter starts running. My contracts state if you call me up to ask questions, the first five minutes are no charge. After that, you get charged my hourly rate by the minute. If you want me to make a list of materials for you so you can buy your own, I charge for that time. If you want me to review the electrical plan, I'm charging for that. If I'm subbing for you and you insist I attend a meeting, I charge my hourly rate plus a travel charge.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts