Electrician Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I rarely do side jobs, but one has come up that I kinda have to do. Its for a friend so I want to get contractor pricing then cut it in half. Since Im such a great friend HA. Here is the job: Swap out 3 light fixtures ,Swap out 2 ceiling fans , Troubleshoot a non working receptacle in the kitchen , Add a light in the garage w/ switch. (Dry wall)

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Hey guys. I rarely do side jobs, but one has come up that I kinda have to do. Its for a friend so I want to get contractor pricing then cut it in half. Since Im such a great friend HA. Here is the job: Swap out 3 light fixtures ,Swap out 2 ceiling fans , Troubleshoot a non working receptacle in the kitchen , Add a light in the garage w/ switch. (Dry wall)
Friendship and business don't mix well, Would your friend sell you his truck for half price?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
drspec said:
how close of a friend? does he/she have anything to offer in return? I normally just have them pay for the material and buy me dinner and then when I need a hand, it works the other way
Nothing to offer in return. Ive done way too many jobs for dinners

·
Premium Member
20,104 Posts
Get your material prices
Divide that price by .7

How much time do you think it will take to install the project?
Double that time.
Multiply those hours by $55

Add material price to the labor price.

This will be a nice discounted price for a friend , and you will be working only for wages.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
There is no answer you are going to get on an internet forum that will be best for your situation.

One, since the members here are from all over the country and world, pricing varies greatly from one locale to the next. So what anyone says here will probably not be accurate for your area.

Two, working for friends will always leave one or the other of the parties feeling "screwed over" no matter how hard you try.

All that said, jrannis had the best answer in this thread. I would go by his guideline.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.