Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yes

When I was an EMT (looked like it was one of the medics on the ground at the end, yes?), the first rule was.....save YOURSELF first. Medic or not, I can't believe nobody bothered to ask if the wires they were all walking around had been de-energized.
Yes, I believe he was an EMT that pulled up in the van, and agree with you.

·
Electric Al
4,823 Posts
While the first responders should know better, the utility guys should have never let any of those people be in that area.
I agree ... this includes the (Know It All) cops !

I have personally been called out to an accident , where a vehicle was sitting on a 600 volt three phase pump control station ( demolished ).

The cops where there when I got there and they had called a tow truck .

The cops where ordering the tow truck driver to pull the wreck off the demolished equipment !

Almost got my head bit off when I asked if the poco had disconnected .

I had to argue with them to stay away from the wreck until the poco arrived !

They did not like being told . When the poco arrived they told the cops the same thing I had told them .

They had not even thought of the possible danger !

SO THEY APOLOGISED TO ME ..... YEAH RIGHT !

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
We watched an unconscious overturned truck driver into energized lines bleed out and die waiting for the poco:(

It's a really hard thing to do when you're trained to SAVE lives

so what's your solution Joe?

inquiring minds & future responders are ALL ascii ears

~CS~

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
We watched an unconscious overturned truck driver into energized lines bleed out and die waiting for the poco:(

It's a really hard thing to do when you're trained to SAVE lives

so what's your solution Joe?

inquiring minds & future responders are ALL ascii ears

~CS~
Not sure there is an answer...kind of like waiting until you have all of the trained responders and PPE to do a confined space rescue.... and then it is often a recovery, not a rescue. But, yes that is very difficult to do...wait while someone is dying, and probably even harder is triage.

·
Registered
47 Posts
this is fake
This is not fake. Note the casualty's arms and posture. This is a classic tonic/clonic posture. The patient is in siezure, caused by the electric shock!

I am REALLY suprised at the immediate CPR being initiated WITHOUT proper assessment, as anyone with first-aid training should be able to recognise the tonic-clonic phase of a siezure. The "nurse"(?) kept doing vigorous CPR when the patient was at one point obviously convulsing.

That the rescuers initiated CPR without dragging the patient out of the danger zone at least boggles my mind!

-----------------------------------
Doug...
ex-EMTP, ex-First-Aid/CPR instructor, ex-PHTLS instructor...
...current apprentice, Industrial-EMT, and general health&safety pain-in-the-ass..

Reactions: chicken steve
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.