Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am using a kind of single pole switch with an electronic timer to switch a fan in my bathroom. The model and product is 9590 ASPIRE 5-button Preset Minute Timer

After a distribution problem that caused a power surge/ outage, the switch would not power on and the fan would stop powering on through the switch, but still work with a regular non-electronic switch/wire.

I did a lot of tests in different parts of my house and different loads. The timer simply won't power on in the bathroom 1, wether it is switching a fan or an incandescent light bulb. BUT it will work in the bathroom 2, for both types of load. Therefore i conclude that it is not a fan problem (since same issues with other loads) and not a timer switch problem (since the device works fine in bathroom 2). Without using the timer, everything can be powered normally fine in bathroom 1. Therefore it hints me towards the switch having a mechanism that restricts it from working in bathroom 1 but i cannot find the reason.

I am very out of ideas as to what could be causing this behavior

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
61,085 Posts
Hello,

I am using a kind of single pole switch with an electronic timer to switch a fan in my bathroom. The model and product is 9590 ASPIRE 5-button Preset Minute Timer

After a distribution problem that caused a power surge/ outage, the switch would not power on and the fan would stop powering on through the switch, but still work with a regular non-electronic switch/wire.

I did a lot of tests in different parts of my house and different loads. The timer simply won't power on in the bathroom 1, wether it is switching a fan or an incandescent light bulb. BUT it will work in the bathroom 2, for both types of load. Therefore i conclude that it is not a fan problem (since same issues with other loads) and not a timer switch problem (since the device works fine in bathroom 2). Without using the timer, everything can be powered normally fine in bathroom 1. Therefore it hints me towards the switch having a mechanism that restricts it from working in bathroom 1 but i cannot find the reason.

I am very out of ideas as to what could be causing this behavior
As you should have read when you filled out the entry questions here:

This site is for professional electrical workers only. Nobody is going to give you advice here as it's against the forum rules for us to do so.

Please try our sister site: www.diychatroom.com

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, sorry about that, i went through the form quickly, and i assumed the general discussion was suited to my problem because it has people asking for advice. I will go to the DIY site, thank you

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
"i went through the form quickly". Maybe we should ask for credit card info. :biggrin:

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
From a logic standpoint, if the switch functions in a different location, it’s something in the location that is wrong. Some electronic devices need a connection to ground in order to function correctly because of needing to deal with Common Mode Noise, whereas a regular switch or the fan itself would not care. So you may have lost a ground connection in the surge. This is where you need a professional electrician.

Reactions: melonade
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.